Tractor design advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by T-Amy, Dec 2, 2011.

1. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    I let my 20 girls out for a forage 1 day & despite my being near them, something (a fox?) snatched 1, when she was foraging near the woods). Anyway, I'm always a nervous wreck when I let them out 2-3x a wk to forage & would like to build a 'run' for them simply out of either wood or PVC with wire attached & on wheels so I can move them around with a little more peace of mind. After she was killed, I didn't let the others out for a few weeks & noticed a significant lightening and decrease in richness of their egg yolks... I assume that's normal? Perhaps it could be because it's winter with less sun or is it their diet that determines how rich the eggs are?

If you have any EASY designs or pics you can upload, I would greatly appreciate it. The girls have a great coop area so thsi doesn't need to be fancy- I wonder if a simple rectangular design with a tarp secured to the top might suffice. Oh, and a waterer, of course.

I would also like to put my meat chicks in it a few times before we process them in hopes it might enrich their diet/flavor as well as give them a little more scenery than they have in their brooder pen.

Many thanks, Amy

2. Nu Chix To Cash

Nu Chix To Cash Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
  3. T-Amy

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    I like it, a lot - what do you use for the support (curved) part? Any idea how big it would have to be to fit 20 in there & let them roam around for a couple of hours?

4. T-Amy

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    Nevermind- found my answer when I clicked on the link. this is exactly what I'm looking for! And I can drape a tarp over it if it's windy or inclement...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by