Tractor Finished (For now)! *Pic Heavy*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Connorrm, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    So I built one a while ago, and I didn't like it so I tore it down and went with a variety of options like I've seen on here in postings and the tractor settings. Take a look [​IMG]

Starting out:

[​IMG]

I put L brackets on the front and back of each 2x4. It's probably overkill but I just imagined it splitting apart!

[​IMG]

More Frame:
    [​IMG]

Got the Ribs In! 3/4" PvC. I was going to use 1/2" but I was really worried about stability and if I predator crawled up the sides it caving in. I used TEN ribs so it's one every foot. You can imagine now why I added L brackets to every support plus all four corners. The amount of bowing without them was insane.
    [​IMG]

Covering with the Chicken Wire. I left about 12" of excess on either side to allow for an apron. Hoping that will do the trick:

[​IMG]

It's not finished yet, but it's fully covered. The sides are still open while I figure out what I want to use for a coop on it. I also have a 6'x8' brand new tarp for the top to keep the rain and sun from pelting my birds.

It's 10' x 6'. The reason being, I had 10 foot 2x4s and 6ft 2x4s laying around [​IMG] I was too lazy to do some extra cuts and waste the lumber. The chicken wire was brand new, so was the PvC and L brackets. I spent about 85 dollars total. If I had to buy the lumber, I would think that would put me around 100. This of course isn't including the future coop attachment [​IMG]

Adding in these Photos:

Final Finished Product - 10ft x 6ft (60sqft). Very light and easy to move - even without wheels, which I will eventually add.

Covered it with a tarp and zip tied it down, so it won't blow away. Just a standard blue $8 5mil from Lowes.
    [​IMG]

Sort of the same, but standing near it.
    [​IMG]

And here is the back end, I used a poorly cut piece of plywood and then stapled the chicken wire over the gaps between the wood and the pvc "ribs".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Added an extra pic [​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Great job! Thanks for sharing!

4. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    Thanks!!! Great pics. [​IMG] Thanks for sharing.

5. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Looks good and I can't wait to see what else you build to go with it [​IMG]

6. AuntGoose

AuntGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Azle, Texas
    Very cool! I too want to see what else you do.

7. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Added some more pictures and such. How many do you think 60 sq ft will hold?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by