1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I am trying to build my chicken tractor as cheaply as possible. I have chicken wire left over from securing my gates and yard in case the chickens are let out of the run. If I double the chicken wire will that do for the run as well?

2. djwingo

djwingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    sorry i cant offer any help.....but i am curious as to what a chicken tractor is ? lol i have nc:)

3. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Personally, I think hardware cloth is better. It is more secure.
    Stephanie

4. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    djwingo a chicken tractor is basically a movable coop with a run attatched. The run has no bottom so the chickens can still enjoy fresh grass and bugs to eat but preditors can't get in to eat them. If you go to the BYC Home page there should be a COOPS link. I am sure there are a couple of pics there. Better yet google "chicken tractor".

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Doubling the chicken wire would be good. Placing welded wire over the chicken wire would be better. Using hardware cloth would be best.

6. djwingo

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    hey thanks for tellin me what it was i would have never guessed that lol i will google it hmmmm my chicks would like one of those bet!!! hubby!!! time to get to work!!!![​IMG]

7. djwingo

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    hey great site...now that i know what one is i believe i will attempt to make one my chicks would be able to play i yard without me having to worry to much about dogs and cats!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by