1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tractor supply bantams help! Poofs!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silkmaster, Mar 31, 2016.

1. silkmaster

silkmaster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Colorado
    Sorry I have no photos, but I went to tractor supply for chicks and in their bantam brooder there are chicks with poofs on their heads that I can't identify! What breeds have chicks with poofs on there heads? I really want silkies but don't want to get something else. No one there could identify what they were

2. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sultans and polish also have poofy heads. Silkies will have 5 toes, feathered feet, and black skin.

3. 11ChickenGirl11

11ChickenGirl11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2015
    Northeast USA
    Polish and Sultan chicks tend to have a more 'pronounced' poof than Silkie chicks do. If you can spot the poofs very easily, they are probably not silkies. It way also depend how old they are.

4. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    I have yet to see a sultan in the TSC bantam bins, or any other bin for that matter..but it could be. I have found white crested black polish in the bantam bin and they are adorable. Mine have markings like eye liner around their eyes.

It could be a mottled Houdan or bantam crevecour (depending on if the hatchery carries either of those).
    Pictures would really be helpful :)

5. Quail Barn

Quail Barn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    NV
    I have purchased Sultans from TS in Nevada.
    Here is a list of what I have bought:
    Sultan, D'uccle (millie Fleur & blue), silkie, OEG (spangled), Cochin (mottled, black) Crested polish (white crested and black lace),
    Belgium d"anver.

6. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    I probably would not recognize a sultan in a bin at TSC. I know the ones I got from ideal hatchery I would have not thought were sultans until I counted toes. chances are I've seen them and thought white cochins haha.

Do you have pictures of your sultans?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by