Tractor supply bantams

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ant888, Apr 3, 2016.

1. ant888

ant888 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2016
    Hello,

It seems that I have 6 silkie bantams chicks. I got them from TSC. They said they're "assorted bantams". Are silkies considered bantams? If so, what makes them different than "regular chickens"? Are they able to fly a little like other chickens?

Thanks, ant888

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Silkies are small, and can't fly, and have issues with very cold or very warm weather. Mary

3. ant888

ant888 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2016
    Thanks, I've read they can be cold hardy, but it seems to not be the case.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Silkies do fine in the cold. Mine live in an uninsulated coop and we see temps somewhere in the -teens in the dead of winter (other in colder places keep them too). Mine don't like the wind, but they don't mind the rain and snow. They do suffer a little when its really hot and humid, but plenty of fresh cold water, shade and some frozen fruits set them to rights.

5. byclover2

byclover2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Yes! You can have silkie bantams -- it just means they're a smaller version of the breed. Silkies are wonderful and yes, they are very heat-tolerant but will also do fine in the cold. Chickens are tough! Silkies can be very broody, too, which is perfect if you're looking to hatch eggs and raise chicks of your own :)

6. bbryant29

bbryant29 New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    We have a silkie and I thought we would have lost her this winter but she made it threw thankfully we did have a very cold winter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by