Tractor Supply Chick Days! A poultry lover's favorite time!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantambury, Mar 9, 2014.

1. bantambury

bantambury life does go on.

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    Well, I'm crazy excited about Tractor Supply's upcoming chick days here in NC! I just had a few questions regarding their chicks.

From the breeds I have seen they carry, I don't know what my store sells, so here is the list of breeds I was thinking:
    -Americana
    -Bantam Special
    -Black Australorp*
    -Blue Andalusian*
    -Buff Orbington
    -California White*
    -Cochins
    -Dominique*
    -Lakenvelder – Gold, Silver
    -Leghorns – Barred, Brown, Silver, White*
    -New Hampshire* (my cross is crossed with a new Hampshire and I think she would be happy ;))
    -Sex Links – black, gold, red*
    -Speckled Sussex*

I clearly cannot take all of these chickens, but the stared breeds are the highest layers.

would it be ok if I got just one of each breed, resulting in 6 birds, or would it be mean to not have other birds their breed with them? I mean my Japanese bantam is the only jap in his coop of 5 birds....

OK now important questions....

1) where does TS get their birds from? I was thinking from cackle hatchery, or my pet chickens......I don't know but would like to know where my chicks are coming from along with health quality.

2) I see dead chicks sometimes.......would this mean all other chicks are unhealthy too?

3) once out of the brooder, and they look to have now illness, can they go right in with my other flock? I mean, I don't want no disease destroying my flock of 17....

4) are their birds relly disease free and cared for well? I see people pick them up by their feet....

5) do they die once home? how well are they?

and last but not least....

6) what are you all's experiences with TS spring chicks? do you have a full grown flock? what breeds did you get from there and love? bad experiences? tell me anything you think is important.....im just trying to make sure no mareks or flu leaks into my existing flock because of some chicks from TS.

2. Random Bantam

Random Bantam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    NE Ohio
    We've had good luck with TS chicks. I'm not sure where they come from, but the guy told me yesterday he *thinks* they're vaccinated. I'll need to ask more questions if/when I get more. Ours only had a variety of red pullets. I just want more layers!

1 person likes this.
  3. bantambury

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    Same! no roosters for me.....especially standard sized to live with my bantam roos! they would bet CRUSHED!

if I go ill ask if they know where they came from or about their health. thanks so much!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I raided the assorted bantam bin the other day and came home with 6 chicks. 5 of them are still alive and kicking. Anyway, my TSC gets their chicks from Mt. Healthy. When I peeked into the bins, some of the chicks didn't look so good, but they get them shipped to their store and are constantly digging thru the tubs for customers. To me, it makes alot of sense that those chicks experience quite a bit of stress before they make it to you and me. I've lost a few having them shipped directly from the hatchery, and there was no steady stream of people looking or reaching into the brooder.

Good luck!

5. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    I started with Production Reds (red sexlinks) and Orpingtons. They both lay very consistently. I started with TS birds and after purchasing a heritage breed from a breeder (not hatchery) I quickly could see the difference in the size and quality of the birds that I purchased. I eventually want to get away from having to purchase birds for my flock since they can introduce disease and parasites so I want the biggest, healthiest, bred for standard stock that I can find to raise my own.

Just FYIO.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got speckled Sussex from them as well as golden comets and black stars. I also have seen white rocks, bantam bag, EEs , and khaki campbell ducks. most KY stores seem to get theirs from Mt Healthy in Ohio. Havent been to the store in Elizabethtown in a few days but will go Monday to see. I need some EEs as ours was sold out. Also will check on what Orschelns has to offer.

7. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    The red and the buff are both TS birds. The black Orpington is from a breeder. She's half again as big as the TS birds are and she's 4 months younger than the TS birds. That's a 1 gallon ice cream container she's peering into.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    These are 3 of the 6 I kept from TSC last spring (3 BOs and 3 BRs). I took these pics yesterday.
    They have been just fine health wise and lay really well. I've been pleased.
    These came from the pullets bin. There are several local farms to me that sell chicks, but not sexed and I know nothing of sexing day old chicks, so until I know how to pick out the girls, if I want more, they will be coming from TSC or one of the other feed stores.

Each TSC will buy from different hatcheries - so the TSCs here may use a different hatchery than others in other locations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bantambury

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    thanks! that barred hen is beautiful! there is a way to sex the chicks....hanging them gently supported by their head...if they pick the feet up its a roo. otherwise, its a hen. it is an old wives tale, but it had worked accurately for me 17 times. LOL but I don't think TSC would let me do that......but I could check their pin feathers in their wings. that easily tells.

anywho, I may just select from the pullets bin like you just to be safe......were all different breeds there together?

10. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    At the TSCs here, they have a red pullets bin, a pullets bin a bantam bin, a duck bin, a breed of the week bin and usually a cornish bin.
    The 6 I purchased (and 3 I kept) came from the general pullets bin - when I got there that weekend it was barred rocks and buffs in that bin.

When I was at the local ones this weekend, the general bin had a bunch of red pullets and something black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by