Tractor Supply Chick Days????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Taylor, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    this year i am planning ordering day-old pullets from our local TSC. I called them today and they said they get their chicks from Mcmurray Hatchery or Stromberg's. has anyone else had any experience with TSC chicks? please post pics of yours and post how they were: healthy, puny, good egg-layers, bad egg-layers. [​IMG]

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I don't have pics, but I bought some "assorted banties" there last year. I ended up with two white silkies, a hen and a roo, and the roo is quite nice, actually. He has very nice, well colored mulberry comb and wattles, vivid ear blue, and very nice feathers. The hen is nice too, but her feathers are not as "silkie" (although not hard feathered either). I also got a little red cochin roo (a bossy but lovable guy) who has good body type but could have better leg feathering, and a gold laced cochin hen that is VERY nice! I have other gold laced cochins and she has the best body type, feather markings, and leg feathers by far. On a funny side note, she refuses to have anything to do with any roo but the white silkie! I hatched three of their eggs and got the most lovely black and white splash chicks. Makes me wonder if my white might be dominant instead of recessive, and thus a candidate for paint silkies. I'm going to pair him up with a nice black hen I just got and see what happens. Anyway, I didn't know where TSC got their chicks from, but all in all I was happy with them.

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    BTW, they are quite healthy and the hens lay about 5 eggs a week, which is really good for banties.

4. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    awesome! I'm interseted in the Egg layer type chickens

5. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Our local TSC (Jefferson City and Morristown) have for the past year have only gotten assorted reds, assorted pullets and red straight run. the them had som Cxs later. But 2 years ago i bought some little cochins. I was looking forward to getting some last year but they never came. Also the ones here is Jefferson County and Hamblen only get them from privett. They were good birds but i'd prefer McMurray. They usually get them in March. when do you all get yours?

6. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I am in Colorado. The three nearest ones according to their website are in Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas. Wish I could have one here. I hear a lot that they like going to theirs.

7. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I spoke with an employee last week about TSC's "chick days" sale and she said that it would begin in early March here. Last year I went to 2-3 different area stores and saw mostly egg layers such as RIR's, RSL's, GC's, and such. They were good looking chicks but often the water/feed was in need of changing or filling. They also had ducklings of some variety but don't know which ones were which. Prices were reasonable at $2.49 - 2.99 per chick, if memory serves. I will check them out again this year even though I have 20 ordered from Ideal coming in mid March.

8. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    i buy new chicks every yr from tsc! Great layers... [​IMG] and some are great moms lol!

9. Rowtag

Rowtag Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Our TSCs get theirs from Ideal. They usually have a straight run assorted bin, a bantam bin, a CX bin, and a pullet bin. Oh and the ducks, last year one store had pekins and the other had runners (I took home the last pekin for one store and got two runners from the other). I also got some from the straight run bin and some pullets. The pullets were leghorns and sex links (black and red). I don't remember what the straight run bin had. The ones I got lay fine, and were all pretty healthy. I think I lost one chick a few hours after I brought it home, but that was out of some 15ish chicks I got last year, so I would say they are fairly healthy.

10. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:man yours doesnt sound that good lol.... here they always have clean food and water and are cheaper than that ( i think about $1.00) lol on the last few days they sell them for $0.50 (well older chicks at least)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by