Tractor supply chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Rabbitlover1, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Rabbitlover1

Rabbitlover1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Some were on this earth.
    Sorry the title is not very explanatory. I was just wondering if tractor supply chicks have a high mortality rate during brooding. Do some of the chicks typically die? If so should I buy extra just in case some don't make it, I'm planing on getting 6 chicks and I want to keep cost at minimal and buying extra chicks will add on to the ever growing cost.

2. JessHeller

JessHeller Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    Longmont Colorado
    I can't speak to their mortality rate but when I looked at the chicks they had at our new local store I'd have to say that the bins were really over crowded. They had a lot of chicks in them. They didn't have what I wanted so got a few chicks from our other farm supply store in town. It would interesting to hear from those who have gotten chicks from them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  3. becca456

becca456 New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Ferris,Tx
    I buy baby chicks from them all the time. Its easier then ordering on line from a hatcher. So far I haven't had any problems. The only thing I don't like is its hard to get the breed you would like to have and in pullets. But the last time I went in they had both of the breeds I was looking for. Buff Orpingtons and the Silver Wyndottes how lucky was I.... Hope this answered your question!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by