1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tractor Supply Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Feb 20, 2011.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    What type ofchicks do tractor supply carry?? BTW the chick days there are march 04 to may 04 for anyone who wants chicks durng that time!

1 person likes this.
  2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    mine carry everything! Im getting some silver laced wyandottes, golden laced, and some RIR and some leghorns

3. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Different Tractor Supply Stores sell different chicks. The one where I live only sells Production Reds, Leghorns and "assorted" bantams. Not a good selection at all. [​IMG]

Maybe you could drive down to your local TSS and just ask 'em; I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you. [​IMG]

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    It depends. Corporate strikes deals with hatcheries across the country for regional contracts. Different stores will carry different types of chicks depending on their location, customer base, usual chick sales, which hatchery they're contracted with this year, etc.

The dates of chick days also varies. Some stores already have chicks in, some will not start carrying them for a few more weeks.

5. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    thx i will probably just ask them

6. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    Our Tractor Supply is very limited in what it carries. Their chicks arrive on 2/28 and, when I asked about what breeds would be available, they sent me to the Tractor Supply web site (tractorsupply.com) and told me to download the order form. It's the same order form for all Tractor Supply locations throughout the US. The form includes "Safe Handling Instructions," "Caring for your new chicks," "Supplies Check List," and then the actual birds available:

Golden-Laced Wyandottes
    Silver-Laced Wyandottes
    Barred Rocks
    Cornish Rocks
    Rhode Island Reds
    New Hampshire Reds
    Black Sex Links
    Gold Sex Links
    Buff Orpingtons
    Black Australorps
    White Leghorn
    Danish Brown Leghorn
    Ameraucanas
    White Plymouth Rocks
    White Turkeys
    Bronze Turkeys
    White Pekin Ducks
    Mallard Ducks
    Khaki Campbells

Also "Bantam Special" and "Assorted Duck."

They didn't say whether I could turn this form in as a pre-order, or whether I was supposed to mail it in. The form does say "Selections: Breed/Gender Must Be Purchased in Multiples of 5 And Must Total 25 Or More." Which is confusing, because I heard you could just pick what you want of what is in store. Confusing. We decided to avoid Tractor Supply and go through a hatchery instead. I'll still probably go take a peek, though!

7. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Interesting! do they sell silkies?

8. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    No, no ornamental or rare chicks. [​IMG] If they did, I'd be there in a heartbeat! Still, I wonder what they include in their Bantam special. Bantam varieties of larger chickens? Old English? Wish they had more details!

9. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:That would be nice!!!

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Good luck since the people working there probably will have no idea. They sure don't at the local one. That being said the 6 sexed pullets that I got from them last spring were 3 SS, 2 production reds and a white rock. Sexing was correct and the birds are doing well. Just remember that because someone works for a feed store that doesn't mean they know a darn thing about chickens.

ETA: Here they were as pullets last spring.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by