Tractor Supply Chicks

thejackson5ms

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Gulfport, MS
Where we live in Gulfport, MS the Tractor Supply is having chick days starting middle of next week. I was wondering how they sell chicks? I've seen videos on youtube.com showing how they have them in different bins. Do they split them up by breed and are they sexed?

It honestly varies between feed store to feed store, order to order. There will generally be bins marked with the breed/sex in there, but it is usually straight run. I have only ever rarely seen pullets in feed stores, and even then only in the absolute most common breeds (leghorns, mostly).

Basically the feed store can order whatever they want. Sometimes my local one only has the most basic common breeds, and sometimes they order really unusual breeds of chickens, geese, ducks, etc. It's always fun to see what they have. :)

I purchased chicks from feed stores twice. we got pullets both times. we got Rhode island reds, barred rocks and Easter Eggers. When we got the rir' s and barred's they only had pullets and ducks. When we got the Ee' s they had green dots on the roos heads and none on the pullets. So you just choose one wo a dot. Our southern states store will order you any chicks you want from a huge list and they buy a huge batch and sell the rest. You should call and ask what breeds they have coming in. They also ran special on all the supplies the same time. Plus they had no minimum but chicks are never happy alone so get 2 or 3 at least. Good luck!

I went to buy more food n a few Easter eggers cuz my daughter wanted them. Our feed n seed here is pretty reliable but I couldn't buy the ameracaunas I wanted as they were reserved for Paula Deen so we ended up w one RIR and 2 BR. Couldn't be happier! Miss Paula has a large free roaming flock but I dunno if she has predetor issues where she lives( it's on the water)

Thanks everyone! It's reassuring to know they might have them sexed, i wasnt as worried with breeds. We're hoping for an australorp, welsummer, ameraucana, and maybe an easter egger or barred rock.

Back
Top Bottom