Tractor Supply Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silkiehen, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    I am thinking about getting some chicks from them next month when they came in. Any opinions on them? I would find out peoples experiences with Tractor Supply.[​IMG]

2. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Any one?

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I've never dealt with Tractor Supply since there aren't any around here. But all these types of places get their chicks from hatcheries and most of the hatcheries are pretty reliable on hatching healthy chicks. When you are picking out chicks try to go for ones that are active and without pasty butt. I like to wait at least 4 or 5 days after the chicks arrive. Most of the chicks that had a hard time in shipment will have died and the healthy ones left.
    Before you buy them you can ask what their policy is on replacing lost chicks. But since the care of the chicks after they leave the store is out of their control, most of them probably won't replace ones that die.
    Hope this helps.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Thank you!

5. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never had a bad experience with chicks from my tractor supply. They've always been healthy and good layers. However some tips for buying from tractor supply:
    1. The employees are clueless. Take any advice they give you with a grain of salt because most times they say whatever comes to mind and it's never right.
    2. Pick the chicks that run from you (or the employee) it does not mean they are not people friendly but it does mean they are healthy enough to run. I also tend to go for the ones that are actively eating and drinking
    3. I always try to get my chicks when the first shipment comes in. Me and my brother just believe that they are healthier because they go into the bin when they are cleanest
    4. Call before you go and see what breeds they have. Most tractor supplies in your area will get different breeds so you can pick and choose which ones you want to visit...unless you can resist the cuteness once you see them in the store

I hope this helps!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Ok thanks! They usually have a fence around them. I have seen before that they sell Pullets (I think they are Red Stars and Black Stars) then they have Assorted straight run, regular white chickens, and Turkeys, Ducks, and Quail. I will probably be buying pullets because don't want a rooster right now! They are getting stuff set up so I'm assuming the end of February beginning of March. Will post pics when I get them!

7. red horse ranch

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I totally agree about the employees! I usually know a lot more about the chicks than they do. I've seen them swinging a washer on a string over a chick and then they swear it's a female. I know by the down color that it's NOT! I usually end up laughing after I leave the store because most of them are clueless.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    What's the washer for? Sorry for my ignorance! Is it for telling the gender?

9. red horse ranch

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    An old wives tale says if it swings in a circle over a chick it's a female. If it swings back and forth it's male. But to me it's obvious that the employee is making it go in a circle.

10. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Usually around here they have red pullets (a mix of production reds, Rex sex links, new hampshires and Rhode Island reds), some sort of broiler and then every shipment they get a new "special" breed that is usually straight run. Last year I got buff brahmas (ended up with 2 Roos and 1 hen) one week, then 2 weeks later got 9 black australorps (all hens! Now that's luck!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by