Tractor supply chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by New Momma, Mar 4, 2014.

1. New Momma

New Momma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    We bought 6 red pullets from TSC Sadly one passed away but the others are doing fine. What is your experience with Buying from TSC When you bought just Pullets did you get just pullets? Because I believe I may have gotten a rooster.. I have absolutely no idea why I think this particular chick is a rooster but Just.. What is your experience with TSC? Thanks guys :)

2. mote36

mote36 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    I to got some chicks from tractor supply! 4 red pullets 2 light brahmas 2 Cornish x and 2 ducks. So far it seems like all my pullets are hens. I believe though I got one male and one female Brahma one male and one female Cornish and a male and female duck though

3. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    I bought 6 White Rock pullets and they were very good layers.

4. MuddyBootsPA

MuddyBootsPA Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    Last year I bought 3 red pullets & 3 white/yellow pullets. All were in fact, pullets! They were purchased in late February & started laying around mid-late June. They are all excellent laying hens & still alive. One of the white/yellows did have some issues when she first started laying & she had a prolapsed vent. I nursed her back to health & she has been doing fine since. They are just about 1 year old & they look like mixed breeds.

5. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Last year I bought 12 chicks from TSC - 4 red stars, 2 leghorns, 3 black australorps, 3 silver laced wyandottes. All were "suppose" to be pullets and I ended up with only three of them being roosters, which I thought the odds were in my favor. I've heard of worse odds, lol. The three roos were 2 of the australorps, which I kept, and 1 one of the wyandottes, who I gave to a good home. I never lost one, and the only problem I have with one of them is one of my wyandottes gets crop issues easily.

6. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have gotten chicks from TSC and Rural King before. This was when they were letting people touch the chicks. All the stores around me now don't let anyone touch the chicks except employees now. Even then, I only ended up with 2 roosters out of all the pullets I bought. Mistakes do happen during sexing at the hatchers. Also mistakes can happen with inexperienced employees who can't remember which tub they took a chick out of. They could put a straight run chick back with pullets only.

And I wanted to add. All of mine were healthy and turned into good layers.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by