Tractor supply company said they were bantam silkies! WRONG!!!!

MamaCoop0609

In the Brooder
May 6, 2017
Jefferson, MD
I'm having the exact same problem! I'm new to backyardchickens.com and I'm not sure how to post my own problem yet! LOL. I bought six Bantums from my local tractor supply company, they said that they were silkies! Only today did I realize they didn't have feathered feet nor five toes and were not silkies! They are now six weeks old, purchased at approximately two days old. With all the googling I've done and the information in my head from the past 48 hours I'm going nuts!!! I can't seem to find any chick that looks like mine! The closest I came to was your Bantam #2!! They basically all have the same markings, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into, I need to know what my feather babies are! Can anyone help!?

And this guy, out of six chicks is the only one that has these markings. The gray head, the big red-ish pink crow. I'd like to know if they are all the same breed and maybe he is just the Roo in the family? Dear God please someone help!

It looks like you got golden seabrights. They are a true bantam. That means there is not a larger version. The roos are hen feathered so will not get the pointed hackle or saddle feathers. They can fly very very well. In the first pic I think I see a roo. The comb is larger and redder.

The last pic is a birchen pattern and looks like an old english to me. They can also fly very well. Oh and at the age you list that one is likely a male.

And welcome to an adventure!

Last edited:
Have you discussed this disaster with the pseudo ag store yet? I am curious to know what they have to say about this. Our local pseudo ag store is selling worse than straight run birds and labeling them as pullets. Absolutely no chance of any righting it on their part as they are passing the buck onto the hatchery (Nutrena) and they could care less about it. Please post what they say if you speak with them, and if you do, give them hell.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you all! I'm furious that TSC can get away with such false advertising! I do so very appreciate the feedback on my babies! Gives me some place to start googling to learn what I can about this particular breed of bantam! I just want what is best for them! Knowing they are pretty decent fliers is an awesome thing to be knowledgeable about before I put them outside in their coop or walking out and about on the land!! Thank you all again! Genuinely appreciative!
1f601.png
1f389.png

They get assorted bantams. The employee should have kept quiet about the breed they thought they were and just referred to the sign. That's a training issue, not false advertising.

The Silkies are often the first to sell from the assorted bin and are not difficult to identify once you've looked at some photos. But, you'll need to do that part if you want to get your Silkies from the assorted bin -- don't expect a retail sales person to be an expert.

Yes, debid... I should have educated myself in what the Silkie chicks looked like. I just saw the 'silkie' sign and got excited and asked for 6! I do not blame the salesperson in whole for the mix up. I just took her word when I asked for 6 silkies and she scooped them into a box and handed them to my son as I was doing some other shopping. I love them reguardless... next year I will know, am now more educated about them, and will be more cautious.

You might check their website. They had something new this year where you could buy specific breeds by the 10 pack and have them sent from hatchery to your post office. And cheaper than buying from the hatchery on your own... I'm pretty sure one of the options was Silkies.

ETA: nevermind, I remember now it was sexed Polish I was surprised to see. The online bantams are assorted, too. There's always the possibility of local breeders...

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry for your mix up... Silkies are pretty cool.
love.gif
Hopefully your Seabrights will turn out nice.
fl.gif

I agree with @debid that it is a training problem. And honestly TSC messes their labels up soooo much, hardly anybody gets what they think they did!
duc.gif
It's the basic story of the season.

I also got incorrect breeds before I educated myself about what to expect when I was looking... but I paid $20 each x 3 for barn yard mix! ... cheap lesson, won't soon be forgotten.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom