1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tractor Supply didn't give me the right chicken..

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by BayPanda, Mar 16, 2016.

1. BayPanda

BayPanda New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    I had bought 3 leghorns from the pullet basket at tractor supply and they are all about 4 weeks old and I noticed one of them is a roo! I have no idea what to do with him.. He's such a sweetheart though![​IMG]
    Has this happened to anyone else?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Tractor Supply is absolutely FAMOUS for screwing up chick sales.

I was sold Rhode Island Red's that turned out to be another breed. When I asked for my money back or chicks to replace them, I had to have my receipt. Of course, I didn't have my receipt.

3. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    Sexing is NOT 100% guaranteed. Even the best chick sexers can make mistakes. It happens.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Is the comb already red or is it just larger than the rest? To me it still looks pink.

5. BayPanda

BayPanda New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    It looks pink to me too. I've been told that it is and isn't a roo

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If it 's still pink then it's a pullet. All Leghorns, even females, have very large combs.

7. HTChick

HTChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2015
    West Texas
    I agree. I received two leghorn pullets in my mixed assortment from McMurray Hatchery. Their combs stayed very light nearly up to laying. About 3 weeks ago (they were born Oct 13, 2015), the combs began to grow and get red. They started laying very soon after and I have had 2 white eggs nearly every day. Their combs are large and red now. Don't give up, very likely your sweetie is a pullet. Mine have gotten much less skittish since beginning to lay.

8. bantambarnyard

bantambarnyard Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    Southern California
    Looks like a pullet to me. The comb would start turning bright red. How old are they?

9. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    Pullet is my vote. I have 5 WL pullets that just hit 1 year. They all had me fooled at first. They grow a huge comb real fast. As long as it stays pink until laying starts your good. They are great layers just not good for dual purpose.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a picture of him this week?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by