Tractor Supply, Gimpy Duckling, Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JFreeman, Feb 19, 2014.

1. JFreeman

JFreeman Chillin' With My Peeps

I need a little help with a duckling I got from Tractor Supply. I got word they had chicks in, and I just had to check their ducklings out. They were being sold as assorted straight run, and I wanted Pekins, so I wasn't going to bother since I didn't know enough about ducklings to confidently choose correctly. Well, in my looking, I noticed this one little duckling that was having trouble moving around. I struck a deal with the manager to buy two others and get that one for free to try and save it from a sad fate. Well, now I need some advice of what to do to help it grow correctly.

[​IMG]

Also, can any one tell me what the third ducking I bought is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm fairly certain I bought a 2nd White Crested, and it seems a bit lethargic at times, but will move around. I gave them all Probiotics and Electrolytes to try and help them get a good start, and they are all under a heat lamp in doors. They are actually set up right next to my chicks.

[​IMG]

Thank you for any and all help and comments. :) These are my very first ducklings, and I'm excited.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you read the Sticky on Raising Ducklings? It covers a lot. I would keep food and water with them 24/7 for at least 8 weeks. Aside from that, I agree with everything in that post.

3. JFreeman

I didn't see a sticky, but I'll check it out. Thank you.

4. JFreeman

Pretty much every one is saying Niacin, so I'm going to pick some up tomorrow for her. It was also suggested to have her swim to help strengthen her leg. They aren't splayed, so I don't think they need splinting. We'll try swimming to see if it helps. :)

I read a lot on the page, and I'll read more. Thank you for pointing it out. I must have missed it when I was looking around for similar threads. :)

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    JFreeman, there is so much to learn, and so much to sift through. Just remember to keep a close eye on the little while in the tub - they can get waterlogged, poop out, get chilled, all that. But when they get their adult feathers they are fine.

6. JFreeman

I filled the sink with just enough luke-warm water to let her walk around without stressing out her legs. She didn't want me to sit back and watch so I left my hand in for her to sit on for a minute so she didn't get scared and hurt herself. I didn't time her, but I would say she didn't get much more than 5-10 minutes in the water, then back under the heat lamp she went after getting a little dried off.

I found Rickets and wondered if she may have that, so I'm going to pick up some Yogurt for her today along with the Niacin. Would all of this be okay to feed with the probiotics and electrolytes already in the water?

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My dad had rickets when he was little. It was a vitamin D deficiency that caused it.

I would go with the niacin for now. Yogurt does not always contain vitamin D - it is added to milk products as a way to prevent rickets in children, but does not naturally occur in milk. And littles need some calcium and phosphorus in a balanced ratio, but not too much - too hard on their internal organs.

If you get a good starter crumble - unmedicated - and use the vitamin B (niacin), I would go with that for at least a few days before adding something else . . .

8. JessyGii

JessyGii Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    Ohio
    Amiga is very right about the niacin. My duckling pekin, I got from tractor supply last year had this same exact problem he stayed handy capped and eventually died because he hobbled into water dish as an teenage duck and couldn't get back out and drowned. I had to give this one sooo much extra care. this duckling may need to be separated as they start to grow bigger , because when I had this problem the other ducks grew much faster then the handy capped one and they would start to pick on him like step on him, shove him away from food dishes ect. I recommend separating this guy from the rest for extra care until he is full grown if you start noticing he isn't growing as fast or being picked on / not getting as much food as others. your doing good giving them the Probiotics and Electrolytes too

9. JFreeman

That's good to know. I bought Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, but it's going to take a few days to get here, so it's good to know I have so many experienced people to ask. I actually didn't know vitamin D was added to milk products... I just thought the more milk was processed the less Vitamin D it had in it, which I assumed from whole milk being called "Vitamin D" in some brands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by