Tractor Supply Mystery Bantam - What am I?

eveliens

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
Fished some bantams out of the bin at the local tsc. There are 4 silver sebrights, 1 golden sebright, 1 oegb (maybe a BB) and this mystery chick.

Mystery Chick Attributes:

Gray face and belly
Brown sides and head
DarkerBrown on Back/Dorsal
Larger than the Sebrights & OEGB but not a full sized chick (it is a bantam)
No feathered feet
Gray Legs
No pouf on the head but might have a muff hard to tell

Partridge wyndotte bantam maybe? Easter Egger? I assume they come from Hoover Hatchery but the employee couldn't confirm.

1653240607544.png

1653240644376.png

Chick in in the front next to a silver sebright and the ogeb for size.

It doesn’t look like a bantam to me
That was my other concern, although if it is full sized, it is very small. I had full sized EEs last summer and full sized RIR/PRs this year, and it is smaller than they were. If it turns out to be standard sized, that's OK. I bought the birds for the silver sebrights and the oegb - I took the other two because I felt bad leaving them there alone. After I deal with all their pasty butts I can look into finding it a new home if it is a standard; I only keep bantams.
Edit: doesn't help oegb and sebrights are on the smaller end of the bantam spectrum. Not sure how helpful using them as a size reference is, as my oegb/d'anver chicks were half the size of the silkies when I got my hatchery order.

Cackle and ideal offer EE bantams.I agree with TheOddOnesOut on breed.
Ideal is who I usually go through; they have a lot of bantams. I had bad luck this year with orders, so I did TSC on a whim when I saw the sebrights. Last year I ended up with 4 roosters and no silver hens, so I wanted to try again. They are a very cheeky, pretty breed. I really don't know who supplies these chicks, so it is possible they are from Ideal or Cackle and not Hoover. I'll give this guy a little time and see if it is a bantam or a standard.

Ideal is who I usually go through; they have a lot of bantams. I had bad luck this year with orders, so I did TSC on a whim when I saw the sebrights. Last year I ended up with 4 roosters and no silver hens, so I wanted to try again. They are a very cheeky, pretty breed. I really don't know who supplies these chicks, so it is possible they are from Ideal or Cackle and not Hoover. I'll give this guy a little time and see if it is a bantam or a standard.
I have a little silver sebright hen from TSC and she’s a pretty cute little bugger. I don’t think she lays any eggs, but there’s not really a way to tell unless I separate her.

A lot of times when there are only 1-2 chicks left in a bin they will toss them in a different bin of chicks and not change the label. I agree it looks much to large for a bantam.

Back
Top Bottom