Tractor Supply now selling Harris galvanized poultry waterer.............

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Country4ever, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I think I've bought Little Giant galvanized waterers over the years and they usually last about 3 and 1/2 years, then they start leaking.
    Today I saw that Tractor Supply company is now selling "Harris" waterers. Looks like they have some bad reviews. Anyone have this brand. If so.......how did it do? I use the 5 gallon ones.
    Thanks.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I have plastic waterers over 10 years old.
    I never hear much good about the metal ones

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks Bear Foot Farm,

I used to use plastic ones, then started to not be able to take them apart anymore. Plus, I needed to be able to keep the water from freezing in winter.......so that's why I went with the metal ones. I've never heard of Harris waterers though.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: It takes a little longer, but you can lay them on their sides and fill through the small hole at the bottom.

They can be used with "cookie tin" type heaters with no problems, especially if you use a thicker piece of metal or ceramic tile on top of the heater

As long as there is water in it , there is little danger of the plastic melting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by