Tractor Supply Water Input

I have one of those. Works well uness it gets exposed to freezing temps.
Things to look out for:
1 Dont lose the small cap. You need it when filling up the waterer, in order to prevent the water from leaking out.
2 Wet the o-ring at the top "fill hole" to get a good seal, or the water will leak from the bottom hole slowly.
3 Dont carry it full of water with the cap on tight or the seal will break and the o-ring will become stressed and possibly damaged. You can carry it with the cap twisted on just enough to carry it but not anywhere near tight.
4 After tightening the lid I noticed a Very Faint hissing sound. (leak from top not tight) Listen to the lid after capping, give an extra bit of twist till sound stops.

The benefit is that it is plastic and will not react with certain meds/vitamins like metal can.

All in all not a bad waterer.

I like the double walled metal cans better myself. No seals or caps to break/replace, not to mention you can place the metal cans on a water warmer.

Last edited:
We have both the metal double walled waterer and one of these. I like the plastic one better. I'm not getting any younger, and was having trouble with twisting the metal one apart, and getting it back together. Had to carry it out of the coop to fill, and then carry the heavy full container back to the coop. I can take the hose right to the coop and just remove the lid on the plastic one to refill. And, I still use the water warmer, just set a thin patio stone on it to keep the plastic from getting too hot. The stone heats up and then the waterer gets warm enough to keep from freezing.

I have one and I like it alot. Considering getting another one!!
wink.png

Thank you everyone for the input. Do appreciate very much. and thank you Conventio Liberi for wrting that diagram i guess thats what you call it. i am liking what i hear but am afraid that it will freeze.Like conventio said it will not be good in freezing temps so thats my only worry. i have no electricty over there so i cant use a heater. if someone could help me with that i just might get it. thank you all very much again.

Quote:
Well... Not having electricty is irrelivant.

In the cold without protection from the elements and without a heater my metal waterer will freeze faster than the plastic. I suppose it to be because my metal can is more narrow, holds less water, and the metal holds the cold? but I am no expert in thermodynamics.

Quote:
Curliet that is simply brilliant. It is simple and effective! My Plastic waterer will get use in our frigid temps this winter after all! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom