Tractor Supply Weirdness...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Brickman House, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    So my daughter and I popped into TSC for some horse feed, and just HAD to check out the peeps. Like many of them, our TSC has a 6 bird minimum, but it can be any combination of chicks and ducks.

So as my daughter picks out a few chicks and ducks (we've already got a bunch brooding, what's a few more?) I see a woman with her grandson and husband arguing with one of the employees about the minimum. She stops when she sees us pick up a box, and asks "Well, how many ducks are YOU getting?"

I tell her we're getting 3 ducks and 6 chicks, and she says "Oh, well I only want ONE duck, not six." I was kind of puzzled, and asked her "What on earth would you want with one duck?" She looks at me, and exasperatedly points her finger at her 4 year old-ish grandson and says (like I'm an idiot) "Um, as a pet, for him." I said, "Well, they're pretty social animals. I don't think a single duck would do well on its own." She says, "Well, okay then, I'd take two ducks, but certainly not six."

At this point I clue in that I think she's trying to piggyback in on my duck order, mumbled some type of apology, and beat a hasty retreat to the check out line.

I felt a bit bad, because I've shared hatchery orders to make the minimums with great success, and ordinarily I'd have been happy to share my TSC order, but I just didn't get a good feeling that this woman was particularly well prepared to take care of a duck, and I just didn't feel like standing in the middle of TSC quizzing her on what facilities she had for a pet duck, and what she knew about duck care. Plus the timing three days before Easter didn't give me much comfort, either.

I don't know, maybe the TSC 6 bird minimum is designed to prevent exactly this type of thing, and it did the trick. It was kind of a strange experience, though, and boy that woman was abrasive. . .

2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think your instincts were right on there.
    She sounded like she did not know much about ducks and didnt really want one anyway, was just getting one for the grandson.
    You did the right thing.

3. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    You did the right thing, a woman trying to buy one duck for a four year old, two days before Easter is obviously not responsible. It would likely be neglected, and, after not having the proper care and supplies, die a few days later.

4. plumberroy

plumberroy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    I don't know about any other state but in ohio the 6 chick/duckling minimum is state law
    I picked up 6 golden comet pullets and 2 ducks one duck is a khaki campbell Haven't figure out what the other one is It is black with a yellow chest. It is a noisy little bugger [​IMG]
    Roy

5. Jazzymond573

Jazzymond573 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    WI
    Quote:My #1 pet peeve..

People who get baby animals for their kids around the holidays. [​IMG]

6. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Trust your gut feeling...it's almost always right.

Suzy

[​IMG]

7. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

GREAT!! decision you could of saved a life of one or two lol of those little guys way to go

8. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I have been avoiding TSC because I am so afraid of not being strong enough to leave without ducks but if ever state has a 6 minium I guess I would be fine...I already have 6 ducks was just wanting 2 more...Thank God I have to take 6...It stops me..Only have room for 2 more...

9. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

This time of year the 6 minimum is a really good thing for all the baby fowl. I think you did the right thing.

10. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I would have done the same thing. A lone duck as a pet for a 4 year old? Imagine what that poor thing might have endured.

Although, I don't know about this six bird minimum thing. My husband would like to see a six bird MAXIMUM applied to all orders. LOL [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by