Tractor supply?

I got 6 Australorps from there two weeks ago, and all of them look to be females. The breed quality probably isn't the best, but it looks like there sexing is fairly accurate.

I got 6 Australorps from there two weeks ago, and all of them look to be females. The breed quality probably isn't the best, but it looks like there sexing is fairly accurate.
Okay awesome thank you
1f60a.png

I got 6 "Plymouth rocks" from there almost 3 weeks ago. Here it is 3 weeks later and I know more about chickens that I ever wanted to lol. My rocks are 6 awesome easter eggers that I would not want to trade for the world. Thy have been healthy good eaters and growing like weeds but I've heard worse from others who went TSC. I have no regrets but now that I know more, I'd go with something like Horstmans or idealpoultry or mypetchicken etc ..... good luck and have fun! :)

I got 6 "Plymouth rocks" from there almost 3 weeks ago. Here it is 3 weeks later and I know more about chickens that I ever wanted to lol. My rocks are 6 awesome easter eggers that I would not want to trade for the world. Thy have been healthy good eaters and growing like weeds but I've heard worse from others who went TSC. I have no regrets but now that I know more, I'd go with something like Horstmans or idealpoultry or mypetchicken etc ..... good luck and have fun! :)
okay awesome thanks!!!

Honestly, I shop at TSC every week, but I am not a fan of their chicks. It could be a local issue but all the TSC's around here always have a very limited selection of egg layers. They always, ALWAYS have ducks, Cornish meat birds, and bantams, and then usually only offer Production Reds as layers...and maybe Red sex links, sometimes Barred Rocks. I saw Australorps exactly once in three years. If there is a bigger farm store, or a hatchery within a hundred miles of your location then I'd highly recommend going there instead. If you just want Production Reds and will settle for whatever else they might have, then I suppose TSC is fine.

TLDR - Half of their space is dedicated to non-egg laying breeds, so selection is very limited, and exotic breeds are almost non-existent at TSC.

Last edited:
Honestly, I shop at TSC every week, but I am not a fan of their chicks. It could be a local issue but all the TSC's around here always have a very limited selection of egg layers. They always, ALWAYS have ducks, Cornish meat birds, and bantams, and then usually only offer Production Reds as layers...and maybe Red sex links, sometimes Barred Rocks. I saw Australorps exactly once in three years. If there is a bigger farm store, or a hatchery within a hundred miles of your location then I'd highly recommend going there instead. If you just want Production Reds and will settle for whatever else they might have, then I suppose TSC is fine.
Okay I see that makes sense
1f914.png
Thank you for the advice!

I got a few a few years ago and many died from Mareks. I haven't got any since from them. I'm not saying they brought it in to my place, only that many came down with it, and were than culled. The bantam were mostly roosters. All tractor supplies are different as far as sources of the birds as well as care of the birds.

Okay I see that makes sense
1f914.png
Thank you for the advice!

It's still worth checking to see what they have at your local TSC, since you might get lucky. They might even order exotic breeds for you. Just be aware that a Rural King or larger store could be a lot more fun to visit.

Last edited:
I got a few a few years ago and many died from Mareks. I haven't got any since from them. I'm not saying they brought it in to my place, only that many came down with it, and were than culled. The bantam were mostly roosters. All tractor supplies are different as far as sources of the birds as well as care of the birds.
Okay thank you
1f60a.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom