tractor type for bantys... need help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ashylove, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ashylove

ashylove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    so my husband is helping me with building my coop/run, and we are having problems with how many lights(heat lamps) we will need in the coop. the coop itself will be 4feet wide, by 3 feet high and 3 feet long... i plan on having about 6 bantys in here, but like i said, we need the heat lamps and dont know how many we need. any help will be great!!!

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Unless you live in the great white north, you don't need heat lights. I know of bantams breeders in northern NY state that don't have lights. That being said, I live in WV. and I do have them [​IMG] My birdies are spoiled. One 240w red light would be sufficient. Make sure the light is mounted high to a porcelain box and is secure... and cannot be reached by your birds. I woke up one morning to half of my cochin roos fluffy tail singed! I later added a hardware cloth cage around the light .... I had it far away from their roost, but I think they just get spoiled and want to be roasting ...I mean roosting [​IMG] right in front of it. He had to of been perched on a framing board to the wall of the coop [​IMG] like spiderman

Anyways, 1 light is plenty... mount it fairly high up. Your coop is only 3 ft. high and you don't want the birds to be able to get too close to it. ...roosting level is perfect because that's where they'll be when it's the coldest.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. ashylove

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    lol... im in nc and i can tell you right now that they will definitly be spoiled!!! thanks for the help, he will be happy to know that... [​IMG]

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'm in nc where I think it's 54 right now and I have 2 heat lights in the standards coop (but their molting, they need warmth [​IMG] [​IMG] )

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Would you be able to make it 4x4. When you add in roosts, bowls for food, water and grit, that takes about the space for a chicken away.

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I think they will be fine with no heat lambs what so ever, unless they are real young ( I mean chicks) then they will be fine, I didread some where that chicks need 95 F the first week and te 90F the seconed week and it goes on -5 f each week till the get about 3 months old.

please post pictures of your new coop I love looking at coop's photos [​IMG]

Omran

7. ashylove

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    i am not sure if a 4x4 will work, but ill talk to dh to see... as for the age of the birds, 2 are laying age and the rest are about 8 weeks old... [​IMG]

and it is 54 where you are??? not fair, i think todays high was 35 or so... yuck. with that in mind, one or two lights??? lol.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by