tractor vs. coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newchik715, Sep 2, 2009.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    What's the difference between the two advantage wise?

size wise?
    why do some people have one and some have the other?

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    A tractor has to be small so it can be portable, so it will only house a few chickens. A coop on the other hand can be as big as you want as it is stationary, so you can load it down with all kinds of chickens. I have both, actually I have two coops and a tractor,...love them all!

3. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

i have a 16x16x9 coop and love it , would not trade it for anything , well maybe a HUGE diamond ring but thats it LOL hahah

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Well............not exactly

I've seen chicken tractors that are so big that they have to be moved by a real tractor. A big one at that. And house a hunderd or so birds.

I have several coops and a couple of tractors. Problem with my tractors are I made them to heavy to be portable. I like a tractor because I could move it around to help improve the soil in areas. I'm working on 2 more that will be light enough to move around into different garden beds.

I've got a 8x8 coop. It's bad ugly lol! I like it because I can have a large group in one area. I don't like it because it's ugly, the run is just dirt, and I want something else.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages

5. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    We use both a tractor and coop. The tractor is for our meaties, and the coop is for the eggers. We also employ poultry fencing to enlarge their roaming areas. You can see both on our page.

6. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    [​IMG] Granted, I'm still new to the chickens and egg stuff. In my mind, and from what I read, a tractor would be great if you have a reasonably flat area, and can be moved easily by one 'er two people, to keep fresh grass or diggin's for the chickens in whatever run is attatched to it. It's a good rig for a few, or a lot of birds. The portability is what it's all about. We have a coop, 6x8 x 6 high. It's on our website here in the BYC. We live on a side hill basically, with very limited flat space. We only have 6 birds, 1 roo and 5 girls, all Orpingtons. I fenced in about 1200 sq. ft of the back "lawn" that was hardly ever used except by our Husky Akita Sara, and they will never be able to get it completely down to dirt, only where I and they created thier little potholes to "bathe" in. I like the coop, it's hard wired, it's rugged and pretty much predator proof.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have both: an 8' by 8' stationary coop/run, and a 8' diameter tractor that I fashioned from an old trampolene frame. The coop/run is very secure and roofed, and this is where I put the chickens at night and any day that it looks like rain. Typically, though, I move the chickens into their tractor during the daytime so they can forage on fresh grass. Every few days or so, I drag the tractor into a different spot in our yard. I can't let our chickens free range during the day because they're bantams, and we have cats that climb our fence and get into our back yard. The tractor keeps our birds safe from these cats and also hawks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by