Tractor Wheel Question

bird dirt 40206

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
I constructed a tractor for my chickens this year, only problem is, I can't figure out how to attach wheels to it.
I bought six 7" lawnmower wheels with 1/2" diameter hubs with the intention of using old skateboard truck axles to attach them, but the axles aren't long enough to go all the way through the wheels.
The tractor has a 4'x8' footprint (so I may be able to get away with using only 4 wheels) and the bottom of the frame is constructed from 2"x4"s that I would attach the wheels to. I thought that I might be able to use the threaded steel rods that are about the same size as dow rods, but I think they might be likely to bend under the weight of tractor (especially on the one end that has the coop portion above it).
Currently I am having to stick a couple pieces of wood or shovel handles under it to act like sled rails and push it along 3 feet at a time to move it to where I want it to go, and I know that is going to get real old the more I do it and the older I get. This thing is built out of 2x4s and a lot of plywood, plus roofing shingles, so it's pretty heavy.
Anyone have any wheel and axle suggestions?

Last edited:
Of course! Why didn't I think of just using bolts! I knew if I posted something here I'd get some good help. Sometimes when you think too hard about something it keeps you from thinking straight. Thanks.

Of course! Why didn't I think of just using bolts! I knew if I posted something here I'd get some good help. Sometimes when you think too hard about something it keeps you from thinking straight. Thanks.
I'm sooooo guilty of over-thinking projects, so you're not alone on that front. People say that if asked for the time, I tend to tell them how to build a watch! Just my nature. Anyhoo, getting other people's perspectives or thoughts on subjects usually always stimulates a break in the "paralysis by analysis" that I often get into.
he.gif

I just bought two pneumatic tires from TSC the other day myself for like $7.00/ea. and Intend to use 1/2' diameter BNW's for attachment.

(BNW= bolt, nut, washer in construction terms)

Back
Top Bottom