1. ColoradoMount

ColoradoMount New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    I have looked through several of the older threads on this topic, but I still haven't found a good solution to my problem... My husband is doing a great job building our tractor. It is a 6x8 A-frame that he decided to make using cedar so that it would last. The problem is that it is no where near done, and it is already really heavy (for me at least)... I had him extend the handles that we will use to lift it so that it will add an extra 2' to the moment arm and give me a little bit more of a mechanical advantage, but we are still going to need some heavy-duty large diameter wheels. We have a lot of 200-300 pound predators (bears and mountain lions) that could easily tip it over if we elevated the coop off of the ground for the wheels, so I'm not sure how to get mobility without also getting the lift.

Pictures of what you have done on your coops would be greatly appreciated!

2. Tweakster

Tweakster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Garden Ridge, TX
    I'm in the same boat you are. I've got my tractor built, but no clear way to mount wheels that doen't compromise the tractor design. The wheels need to lift the tractor a couple inches of the ground, and them lower the tractor back down so diggers aren't encouraged to burrow under the wheeled end of the tractor. I trying to think through a lever arm that would lower and raise the wheels for moving. My biggest problem is that I have the laying boxes attached to the side of my tractor where the wheels need to be mounted, which severely limits a long lever arm there. Bummer. If I ever think my way through this one I'll post some pictures.

3. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  4. ColoradoMount

ColoradoMount New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    That's awesome! I think it just may be the ticket! Thank you so much for sharing! [​IMG]

5. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    You're quite welcome!

6. Misterwhite

Misterwhite New Egg

Apr 30, 2012
    Make sure to do the revised version and make sure its solid ive tryed both and im still having problems and still looking for something better or something that will just freakin' work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by