Tractor Wheels

Knoxguy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Hi Folks,

I recently acquired a tractor that has substandard wheels (6"x1") which makes it very difficult to move around.

I'm trying to remember high school physics and want to add a larger diameter wheel so that it rolls easier. Maybe wider too?

Any thoughts??

Is your problem more that the ground is not level or is the wheel sinking into the ground because the ground is soft? A larger diameter wheel will help more if the ground is not level. It should require less force to move it forward too because of the lever arm effect, at least as far as breaking it loose and getting it rolling. Once it is moving I’m not sure it matters since you are pulling it.

A wider tire will help more if the ground is soft. That will put more surface area in contact with the ground so it doesn’t sink as deep. A pneumatic tire instead of a solid hard tire will also give you more area in contact with the ground, keeping it from sinking quite so deep, because it will squash down some.

I’m not sure how your tires are attached. If they are permanently attached larger diameter tire may raise the tractor higher off the ground and give predators a chance to get under the tractor. Could be a security risk.

Is your problem more that the ground is not level or is the wheel sinking into the ground because the ground is soft? A larger diameter wheel will help more if the ground is not level. It should require less force to move it forward too because of the lever arm effect, at least as far as breaking it loose and getting it rolling. Once it is moving I’m not sure it matters since you are pulling it.

A wider tire will help more if the ground is soft. That will put more surface area in contact with the ground so it doesn’t sink as deep. A pneumatic tire instead of a solid hard tire will also give you more area in contact with the ground, keeping it from sinking quite so deep, because it will squash down some.

I’m not sure how your tires are attached. If they are permanently attached larger diameter tire may raise the tractor higher off the ground and give predators a chance to get under the tractor. Could be a security risk.
As usual, excellent assessment Ridgerunner!

Thnx for the feedback! I installed another wheel on the opposite side, or in tandem if you will, from the other. It increased the "footprint" and prevents it from getting bogged down in soft ground and enables it to move easier by increasing its wheel-base. So far it works better. Time will tell. Next step is go to a larger pneumatic tire.

Thnx for the help friends.

Back
Top Bottom