Tractor

AtRendeAcres

Songster
12 Years
May 23, 2007
Clarion County
I am working on designing a couple tractors for the warmer weather so they will be done for March! (I hope)
fl.gif

I am thinking of putting some kind of 2 inch wire on the bottom so no predators could get in! ((They would live out there till the really cold weather again so I want them to be safe))

Would that stop them from scratching or would they get used to it?

Or has anyone done this?

I just had a thought:
A lot of people put an apron of hardware cloth around the perimieter of their enclouses (to prevent things from digging in). Since a tractor is supposed to be mobile, could you put a framed, HINGED apron around the bottom?? Then you could flip it up out of the way when you need to move the tractor.

Edited with another thought: You could use small stakes to anchor the apron after you've got the tractor where you want it.

Last edited:
Bringing the wire in about 6/8 inches & steaking it down when moved would be good I would somehow have to finish the edge off on the wire so they don't get hurt
hu.gif

I have one tractor I use for extra roos or cockerals in the Spring thru Fall...I just extended 2 foot of hardward cloth from the bottom framing all around the outside of my tractor to keep predators at bay....so mine can still scratch around....on the wire I placed bricks to keep it in place and drove tent stakes in also.....works for me...

Edited: When putting my hardware cloth on my tractor frame I just planned an extra two feet from top of the A-frame out into the yard from the base of the framework when I was adding the wire......it's not that hard a deal to move either...but does take two people.....

Last edited:
I have a 6" (it should probably be wider) apron on my tractor. It is fixed, not hinged, so a bit of a nuisance when moving the tractor. I just never thought of hinged!
tongue.png
Good idea. That'd probably work really well - just make sure the outer edge is bare wire (not wood framed). You'd have to do a little designing to make sure it covered all the corners when folded down, and didn't interfere with the tractor's wheels or skids.

RChicks, the apron sticks out AWAY from the tractor, not into it, so there is no possible way chickens could hurt themselves on it. So a cross section would look like

NOT like
_________
| |
|__ __|

(ha, I bet you thought nobody ever used ASCII art anymore
tongue.png
)

Pat

I think I've got it

wee.gif

I understand now you extend the hardware cloth out (around the tractor instead of the inside & then hinging the apron around makes it easier to move!!!

You guys are better than of all the books I have bought on raising chickens!

How big is your tractor going to be?
We built one for 5 hens. It's at the min. it should be for space and I will never build one again. It's a beast to move. It ended up staying in one place all summer and we did move it closer to the house in the winter, but I'm keeping where it was once we get it back there again. It's a pain, diffiucult and probably no cheaper to build than a simple permanent shed for them. My husband put so much time into my adventure and that's the only reason I'm keeping it for now. I don't dare ask him to build something else......Just make sure you really want the tractor. Putting roofing shingles weighed it down a lot but I'm not sure what your plans were?

Stephanie

I am thinking of making an ark kind it seems to take the least amout of wood which should hopfully make it lighter!

this would also help me separate breeds & groups! so I can one group out at a time or they wind up @ neighbors!

Back
Top Bottom