Tractoring cornish x vs freedom rangers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by malignstar, Jul 31, 2010.

1. malignstar

malignstar In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    Sorry if this topic has already been discussed. I can't find anything pertaining to this so thought I'd ask. I am debating on whether to go with the freedom rangers or the cornish x for meat birds based on their ability to forage and reduce their own feed costs. Has anyone compared the costs of raising both types of birds? While the cx can be butchered earlier, I am under the impression they eat alot more bagged food. If put on pasture at a young age, they should be finding bugs and grasses to eat, right? The freedom rangers or other dual purpose birds are butchered later, but does it end up being more expensive because there's less meat on them? They would still be needing some feed for another month or more than the cx. I thought about feeding my cx minimal pellets and expecting them to forage most of their food. I have 4.5 acres to move them around on and I'm sure it has plenty of things for them to eat. I also plan to toss them vegetable peelings and such. I want to raise a cost effective bird for the freezer (who doesn't?) and I don't want to make it harder or more expensive than it has to be. So what really ends up being the better choice?

2. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Songster

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I believe the point to free ranging meat birds is NOT so much to reduce the cost of feed, but to give the birds a normal life. Plus, a free ranging meat bird is a MUCH cleaner bird. I don't think FR can find enough food items to make a significant difference in their daily consumption. My birds free range from sunup to sundown and they still eat a ton of food. They have 3 acres to range but they seldom go further than 50 yards from their coop.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Are you talking about CX?? Do they come back to the coop at night? I expect mine on Wednesday and built a mini run to move them around and then off to beddy bye time-I hope !

4. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Songster

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I was talking about Freedom Rangers but I also "free ranges" my X-rocks. At first, the only way I get the FR's back into the coop is to round them up. I use an old fishing rod with a plastic bag tied to end. For some reason, this TERRIFIES chickens. After a couple weeks of rounding up the birds, they pretty much learn to go to the coop at sunset. Although, I occassionally need to 'get after' my laying hens because they sometimes prefer trees to the coop. lol

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:do you find that when your CX's get near processing age they are to big to wobble back into the coop? Do we have to pick them up and put them back in?? Ive been doing the chicken thing for a long time but this is a whole new world to me with meaties???

6. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Songster

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    The only time I'd pick up one of those nasty birds is to kill it. <lol> But, the birds never got to big to walk around. Honestly, I will never raise X-rocks again.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:from the smells anf filth these birds produce Im skeeered to get mine-Im sure the first week or two will be fine but oooh when they really start to grow is when Il panic about mess and smells--I might just order a ton of Katy's egg next year and free range the lot all Spring SUmmer and butcher for Fall!!!

8. jakobvanschagen

jakobvanschagen In the Brooder

May 24, 2010
    NW Illinois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by