1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tractors/Raised Beds

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by poppycat, Mar 5, 2007.

1. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    So here's my project. I'm going to try and build a chicken tractor and raised garden beds in tandem. The idea is that the tractor will neatly fit over the raised beds or be able to be used on it's own. Has anyone done this? I'd like the tractor to be light enough that one person can move it too. I'm leaning toward 5X5 squares with a chicken hut on an upper story. Any thoughts?

2. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I have no advice to offer, but I think the idea itself is brilliant. Good luck.

-MTchick

3. Bokbok

Bokbok Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    I am on your brain wave. I have not started yet, my chicks are still babies, but this is what I think that I will do: I will have the coop and the run be both moveable, the run being oblong with two different doors for me to open the coop into every morning. This way I can scoot the run under trees, or have the coop and the run join at a 90 degree angle (my backyard has some turns and curves). I plan to make each raised garden bed as I go, five days at a time. On the first location, I will let the ladies play for a day, undoing the incredible amount of weeds that have sprung up over the last season of rain. At the end of the day I will scoot the girls into their coop and cover the area with hay, not moving yet. Every day I will let them poop poop poop, cover with hay, over and over for five days. Then I will move to the next location with a raised garden bed ready to plant. I am told that the chicken litter and hay complement each other perfect to make emmediate compost. I am thinking that by the time the coop comes around to the first location again, the crop there will be done and ready to raize and start over, hopefully if my yard is as big as I think it is under all those unwanted weeds! Of course this is all experimental in my head. I know you were looking for experienced advice, but I just got so excited when I saw your post.

4. redsix

redsix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    Virginia
    I hadn't thought of using a raised bed, but I have thought about planting some winter wheat in late summer and pull the tractor across it this winter so that the chickens will have something green to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by