Traded one of my roos for a pitiful looking frizzle hen!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Maidservant, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Well, I traded one of my roos for a pitiful looking frizzle hen yesterday. I know that the guy isn't keeping my roo, so I'm not too worried about that, but this poor little girl has only a handful of feathers! She is not molting, but she is recovering from a mite infestation (she's clean now, otherwise she would have never came home with me), and she was in a pen with a 3 ft tall RIR rooster who was picking on her. Got her home, put her in the chicken tractor for quarrantine, fed her, gave her water. She is already perking up. She is still naked, and I had to spray some sunscreen on her today and move her cage into the shade (even though half of the tractor is covered). Poor thing, she stuffed herself on the food, and even though she is still afraid of people, she is very content now. She has grass under her feet, food in her bowl, and fresh clean water. Plus, she isn't getting picked on anymore!

Once she regains her feathers and has passed through my 2-3 month quarrantine, I'm hoping to introduce her to my silkies and possibly get some sizzles. Her previous owner said she was a year and a half old, and she was still laying. I didn't believe her, but lo and behold there was an egg in her cage this morning! I'm giving her calcium in addition to what the other chickens get (a whole grain mix).

Is there anything else I can do for her other than take care of her correctly?

So, here's a picture of my pitiful chicken. I've nicknamed her Ugli Chicken for now, lol.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading!
    Emily

2. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Awwwwww, no other advice from me but to keep on lovin' on her. [​IMG]

Post more pics when you've got back into good condition so we can see the before and after like on one of those make-over shows.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Poor Girl, Not sure what else you can do, what you are doing is great! Never had chickens but I have hung around them. Hopefully shell get dressed soon, we dont want any peeping toms around, Chickens dont like cats , [​IMG]

4. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    hmm if i was you i dont know if id eat her eggs til quarintine's over...

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

That poor bird, she almost looks like she belongs on a roasting pan with all those missing feathers! I hope you'll post updates so we can see her progress.

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    That is one sad looking birdy. You'll have to update us on her progress; it should be dramatic with the care you are lavishing on her.

7. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Wow, thankfully that man isn't keeping your roo. It saddens me that someone could have an animal in such horrible shape. She is really cute though, and so glad you took her in. Sounds like you are giving her just what she needs- a safe place with enough food, water and fresh air.
    I'm a chicken novice, but maybe someone will know if she needs anything extra- like vitamins or something.
    I think her name should be Cinderella. Even though she looks , on the outside like Drizella, I bet she grows into a princess with your care!

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Quote:I would say enter her in the fugly contest, but it is closed. Maybe next time. I think you got a winner there.

9. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I would put her on some sort of Vitamin supplement like AviaCharge2000. She also need lots of protein like meat from table scraps, hardboiled mashed up eggs and even a little cat food would be good for her, they would help her to regrow her feathers.

10. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Other than the vitamins suggested and some extra protein from "people foods" ..maybe give her some mealworms or others? I give my healthy birds mealies everyday ..as treats and supplemental to their regular chow.

(I culture and gutload all my feeder insects, too ..so I know what my birds are eating)

I think she's beautiful ...even in the shape she's in.. and I immediately called her, MiaBella ..when I got down to the pic [​IMG]

Good Luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by