Traded one of my roos for a pitiful looking frizzle hen!

Maidservant

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Well, I traded one of my roos for a pitiful looking frizzle hen yesterday. I know that the guy isn't keeping my roo, so I'm not too worried about that, but this poor little girl has only a handful of feathers! She is not molting, but she is recovering from a mite infestation (she's clean now, otherwise she would have never came home with me), and she was in a pen with a 3 ft tall RIR rooster who was picking on her. Got her home, put her in the chicken tractor for quarrantine, fed her, gave her water. She is already perking up. She is still naked, and I had to spray some sunscreen on her today and move her cage into the shade (even though half of the tractor is covered). Poor thing, she stuffed herself on the food, and even though she is still afraid of people, she is very content now. She has grass under her feet, food in her bowl, and fresh clean water. Plus, she isn't getting picked on anymore!

Once she regains her feathers and has passed through my 2-3 month quarrantine, I'm hoping to introduce her to my silkies and possibly get some sizzles. Her previous owner said she was a year and a half old, and she was still laying. I didn't believe her, but lo and behold there was an egg in her cage this morning! I'm giving her calcium in addition to what the other chickens get (a whole grain mix).

Is there anything else I can do for her other than take care of her correctly?

So, here's a picture of my pitiful chicken. I've nicknamed her Ugli Chicken for now, lol.
pitiful_frizzle.jpg

Thanks for reading!
Emily

Awwwwww, no other advice from me but to keep on lovin' on her.
love.gif

Post more pics when you've got back into good condition so we can see the before and after like on one of those make-over shows.

Poor Girl, Not sure what else you can do, what you are doing is great! Never had chickens but I have hung around them. Hopefully shell get dressed soon, we dont want any peeping toms around, Chickens dont like cats ,
lol.png

Wow, thankfully that man isn't keeping your roo. It saddens me that someone could have an animal in such horrible shape. She is really cute though, and so glad you took her in. Sounds like you are giving her just what she needs- a safe place with enough food, water and fresh air.
I'm a chicken novice, but maybe someone will know if she needs anything extra- like vitamins or something.
I think her name should be Cinderella. Even though she looks , on the outside like Drizella, I bet she grows into a princess with your care!

I would put her on some sort of Vitamin supplement like AviaCharge2000. She also need lots of protein like meat from table scraps, hardboiled mashed up eggs and even a little cat food would be good for her, they would help her to regrow her feathers.

Other than the vitamins suggested and some extra protein from "people foods" ..maybe give her some mealworms or others? I give my healthy birds mealies everyday ..as treats and supplemental to their regular chow.

(I culture and gutload all my feeder insects, too ..so I know what my birds are eating)

I think she's beautiful ...even in the shape she's in.. and I immediately called her, MiaBella ..when I got down to the pic
wink.png

Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom