Traders Joe's Eggs

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by kcmz812, Jan 4, 2017.

1. kcmz812

kcmz812 Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    My sons and I (with the help of grandpa) made an incubator and hatched a Trader Joe's egg. Joey is almost a week old now!

2. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    Nice! We've hatched Trader Joe's eggs in the science lab at school before. Most of them were white leghorns, though there were a few that weren't. It's surprising that they can still hatch after being refrigerated, although most of them don't hatch.

1 person likes this.
  3. kcmz812

kcmz812 Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    We've renamed our chick Jojo. Hopefully a hen![​IMG]

HattieScratchy likes this.
  4. domesticzoo

domesticzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Alpine, CA
    Okay people I have been wanting to do this since I joined BYC. I went out bought 3 dozen at Trader Joe's fertilized eggs 20170902_073038.jpg today. So it begins! Need to do some preparation and by Monday they should be in the incubator! Let the incubation and soon hatching begin!

HattieScratchy and Honora like this.
  5. HattieScratchy

HattieScratchy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2017
    PNW
    I didn't even know this was a thing! Lol..

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Be selective when shopping at stores that carry fertile eggs. Depending on where one lives, the eggs may be past their prime for incubation.
    The Julian date on the carton is the date the eggs were packaged, which is likely a day or two after they were laid.
    TJs don't carry fertile eggs where I live. Whole Foods does but they come from a farm in Wisconsin. Then they ship to the distribution center in Chicago. Then they ship to the stores in St. Louis. By the time they hit the shelf, they are always well over 10 days old.

7. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I think the ones that don't hatch is not because of the fridge, but because they are too old. It is best to get eggs from a chicken lady.

ChickenCanoe likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by