Traders Joe's Eggs

kcmz812

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2017
My sons and I (with the help of grandpa) made an incubator and hatched a Trader Joe's egg. Joey is almost a week old now!

Nice! We've hatched Trader Joe's eggs in the science lab at school before. Most of them were white leghorns, though there were a few that weren't. It's surprising that they can still hatch after being refrigerated, although most of them don't hatch.

We've renamed our chick Jojo. Hopefully a hen!

Okay people I have been wanting to do this since I joined BYC. I went out bought 3 dozen at Trader Joe's fertilized eggs
20170902_073038.jpg
today. So it begins! Need to do some preparation and by Monday they should be in the incubator! Let the incubation and soon hatching begin!

Be selective when shopping at stores that carry fertile eggs. Depending on where one lives, the eggs may be past their prime for incubation.
The Julian date on the carton is the date the eggs were packaged, which is likely a day or two after they were laid.
TJs don't carry fertile eggs where I live. Whole Foods does but they come from a farm in Wisconsin. Then they ship to the distribution center in Chicago. Then they ship to the stores in St. Louis. By the time they hit the shelf, they are always well over 10 days old.

Back
Top Bottom