Trading Chickens-Contract?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by ADozenGirlz, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I don't know quite where to post this question, so I apologize if it is in the wrong topic area.
    I am likely going to trade my rooster to a breeder in exchange for one of his future offspring and some hatching eggs. What is the usual protocol in the chicken world for this type of exchange, do folks ordinarily use contracts/barter agreements? If so, does anyone have a sample I may use?
    Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I'd just trade out and be done. I don't see any reason really for a contract. I think that's complicating it a little myself. I wouldn't think it necessary honestly.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, if you don't trust the breeder, don't make the trade. If you do, do. It's not quite the same as sending off your $100,000 race horse for training.

4. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Thanks for the perspective, sounds right. It's hard not to think like a lawyer once they've ruined you in law school!

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Just make sure that you discuss the trade sufficiently that you are on the same page.

6. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    We've discussed the trade on email, so I think it's sufficiently hashed out except for the future contingency, which is: my obtaining an offspring of my rooster's.
    This chicken business is becoming a LOT of fun!!

7. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    This is a really good question that I will be interested to see the responses to myself. I am used to horse world answers which ALWAYS involves contracts because there are so many dishonest people out there and I'm curious to see how this hobby handles it.

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    How soon are you looking offspring/hatching eggs. If ASAP what I would do is to loan him the roo for a couple of months. This will assure you that he will not mess around with his end of the deal. If he doesn't hold up his end of the deal, go get your roo.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Well, now you need to discuss that--try to nail down a rough timeframe, but realize that this is not quite the same as commissioning a piece of artwork or clothing that is solely dependant on hte effort of the person. Both the cock & hen have to cooperate, and the eggs have to be fertile. Unless she has been with no roosters, she must be separated from all other roosters for a period of time (about a month) to ascertain that all offspring ARE his. Once there are fertile eggs, they must develop and hatch. Presumably you would want them to mature sufficiently to select your choice (make sure to specify who makes the selection--if the other party does, make sure to specify what you want: a pullet who flies like a sparrow, comes when called and lays chartreuse eggs with large purple spots [​IMG] )

10. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Marty, That's a brilliant suggestion! I love the creative thinking!!
    I do trust this trading partner though and the if she didn't hold up her end of the bargain it wouldn't be a major problem for me, so I think I'll just go on old fashioned trust this time and hope it pans out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by