trading chickens for quail???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by adyhart1, Jan 10, 2011.

1. adyhart1

adyhart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Ok i have 5 extra black australoups that i need to find homes for! I put a post on craigslist for me to sell them or trade for some more delaware chickens or coturnix quail. A man in my area contacted me and said he has some coturnix quail to trade.[​IMG] Ok my question is what would a fair trade be? [​IMG] I dont want to go up there today and be rude and insult the nice older man. I was thinking two breeding pairs would be a fair trade (1 male 2 females)... do you think thats right or should i try to just get a male and 4 females and be even... or even 2 males and 3 females? lol any responses are appreciated... i have a small flock of quail of my own just wanted to add another bloodline to it. He sent me pictures of the quail and they look great. My 5 birds look great too very healthy! thanks again oh i forgot to mention the australoups are 3 weeks old i dunno if that will make any difference?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    First you have to think of the value of your chickens as adults and trade accordingly. I would think 2 quads would be nice (1 cock, 3 hens) but he may not have that many hens. So just make a deal that you feel comfortable with. Also do you know the sex of your chicks or are you trading as straight run? If straight run, the trader is not obligated to give you all the hens you desire as he doesn't know if he will have any hens from the chickens [​IMG]

3. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    I do not know much about australorps except they are excellent layers... And i do not know the sex. I am not sure how to sex the australorps! We will see what he has... he said he has all different ages and my quail are almost 5 weeks right now so i need a few females... ended up with a few more roos (of course!!) I will keep everyone posted when i get back this evening to see how i made out!

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    You Need To Rethink Your Sex Ratio On Coturnix.... They Do Best In Harems Not Pairs Or Trios... Try 1:5-8 For Best Results [​IMG]

5. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Well I think we got 6 hens... I'm pretty excited! He was very nice and very helpful with showing me more on vent sexing the birds.... He does not rely on the chest feather methods! Awesome

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    [​IMG]

SWEET A BATCH OF NEW PRODUCER AND A LESSON! SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD NIGHT.

7. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    It was a great night! Lol my hubby even learned some new stuff!

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You can get a ton of birds really cheap if you visit your local animal swaps. I once traded 4 Buff Orpington hens for 25 coturnix. Some of these breeders that hatch and sell off most of their flock will sell to you in bulk and usually very cheap.

9. adyhart1

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    We are still building more coops. Right now I can only house about 30-40 quail. But we have another two in progress.I plan on having one for my breeders, meat birds, and one for young ones! Woot Woot

10. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    All you need now is a 60x60 colony pen and you're ready to go.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by