Trading Off

ktwebb

Chirping
Feb 19, 2022
A friend and I are meeting up tomorrow to swap some of our 4.5-6 week old chicks. I got some for her, she got some for me kinda deal and now we’re leveling up. Anything special I need to know about before I take some new “outsider” 4.5-6 week olds and add them to my existing 4.5-6 week olds? Or should it be a pretty smooth integration since they’re all the same relative age/size? Thanks!

Last edited:
Keep any new birds quarantined as far away from your birds as possible for at least a month, wash hands between and possible change shoes/clothes.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but my friend is located just an hour away from me. (“Just down the road” according to my part of the world). I already have my current 4-6 week olds separated from my adults, sharing the same area, but separated. I’m not sure if I am able to have 3 separate areas at this time.

Also, I am gaining 3 chicks from the swap if that helps paint a better picture.

I assume you trust your friend as far as keeping a healthy flock, or informing you of any possible health issues within their flock, so not going to beat on the quarantine drum.

As far as integrating them, at this age range they should still be fairly accepting of newcomers without pecking order issues, so you can probably toss them together without issue. Best to keep an eye on them the first few hours to make sure, but I don't anticipate issues as long as they have plenty of space to use.

Back
Top Bottom