1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trading plants for birds? CA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Nessy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Nessy

Nessy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Southern Cali
    Sold my collection... thanks

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    What types of birds would you be interested in besides teal ducks?

chel

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Man, I want to see your greenhouse!!!! Too bad I don't have any ducks.

4. Nessy

Nessy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Southern Cali
    Teals are what I am really focusing on trying to get but if you have any ornamental waterfowl try me.

Here in San Diego I grow all of these plants outdoors year round. Most of the orchids had originally come from a guy who grew them outside year round in Fresno, so they can take quite a beating from the cold and still snap back. Although as a general rule orchids don’t like going below 60 we get a few days out of the year when we drop below 40 and get some frost damage

I have four Mandarins and one white mallard already, I am just trying to get something a little smaller.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Too bad you are down south. We are up above Sac and have some pullets and a few roos to find new homes for as we thin the flock down a little. I bet you have beautiful yard!! I sure would like to see pics.

6. Nessy

Nessy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Southern Cali
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. dancesWchickens

dancesWchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Davis, CA
    I'm in San Diego too (Mission Hills area) and I've got some pet roosters I need to find good homes for if you're interested. The 9 bantam ameraucana hen chicks I bought from Kahoots in April turned out to be straight run :)-/), and now I've got 5 roos. I love them - they are all hand raised, very tame and very beautiful - but 5 is too many for one yard! They run free and have done a stellar job of eliminating every snail, slug, and spiderweb. They don't bother established plants (I've got outdoor orchids too) except they love to eat grass. I would have had a wonderful black Indian runner duck to offer up until a couple of weeks ago, but sadly a raccoon got her. In any case, let me know if you are interested in a pet roo or two.

8. Nessy

Nessy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Southern Cali
    I am just looking for ducks right now, I just recently rehomed all my Runners, I am only keeping the wild waterfowl now. Though for those in the area; I am having a plant sale this Saturday.

9. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    Just to say, I have traded plants for birds before. You have a beautiful set up going on. To bad I live in alaska...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by