Trading with neighbors - eggs, meat?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vermontgal, Mar 29, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a very small lot, basically no lawn (I planted a garden everywhere there used to be a lawn).

I have some nearby neighbors, 2 houses over, who have offered to let me run my 4x6 chicken tractor around on their fairly large lawn. This could have the benefit for them of "mowing" their grass, while also letting my chickens have access to pasture.

I am not sure yet if I will put my hens over there, or instead try some meat birds in the tractor.

Any opinions about whether I should also offer my neighbors some eggs or a couple of meat birds, if I go that route? (I would be doing Delawares or Buff Orps, not Cornish x.)

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Does your neighbor know that chickens can do some damage to the lawn. You say both lawn and pasture, there is a difference in my book.[​IMG] Damages like extensive scratching and digging holes (not just for dust bathing but looking for bugs. Just make sure they are aware of what happens. Maybe if the tractor is moved often that won't be a problem. Mine freerange and I already have a lot of bare places where they scratched the grass (roots and all) out of the ground leaving me dirt. If they do allow you to use their yard I would make an agreement prior to moving your chickens over there. They may not want meat but eggs are okay or vice-versa. Don't assume they understand. Just make an agreement. Good luck.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Henry'schickens :

Does your neighbor know that chickens can do some damage to the lawn. You say both lawn and pasture, there is a difference in my book.[​IMG] Damages like extensive scratching and digging holes (not just for dust bathing but looking for bugs. Just make sure they are aware of what happens. Maybe if the tractor is moved often that won't be a problem. Mine freerange and I already have a lot of bare places where they scratched the grass (roots and all) out of the ground leaving me dirt. If they do allow you to use their yard I would make an agreement prior to moving your chickens over there. They may not want meat but eggs are okay or vice-versa. Don't assume they understand. Just make an agreement. Good luck.

I agree. This is very true. They certainly are diggers. I trade eggs for haircuts. The gal that cuts my hair wants eggs for payment. If I don't have enough for payment I usually have enough for the tip.​

4. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    How about both? That is very nice to be able to have space available. Great neighbors.

5. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Vermont lawn = pasture. They're not very different here. [​IMG]

I'll certainly trade them eggs and/or meat -- I guess I was wondering whether anyone had opinions as to what amount would be a fair trade for that kind of sharing? If I raised around 10 meat birds in a tractor on their lawn, how many birds would it be fair to give them?

They might be vegetarian, I need to ask that. They might prefer eggs. [​IMG] I'd raise Buff Orps or Delawares, not Cornish X.

PS. Yes, great neighbors. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by