Traditional Amish Potato Sourdough Bread Starter

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by blueberrylu, Apr 6, 2009.

1. blueberrylu

blueberrylu Chillin' With My Peeps

I got some started and the recipe for this from a friend, and is it yummy!! It does take a long time to rise (10-12 hours----I do it overnight) and the dough seems pretty goey too, but man does it make some tasty bread and it's well worth the wait. This is a long recipe, so please bear with me.

Traditional Amish Potato Sourdough Bread Starter

1 package dry yeast
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 cups warm water
    2 Tbls salt
    1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes

Disolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add remaining ingredients and shake or stir well. Place in good sized glass jar covered with tin foil lid. Keep out on counter at room temperature for 24 hours, then place in the refridgerator for 3-5 days.

Feed the started every 3-5 days without fail!!!

Feed
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup warm water
    1 tsp instant mashed potato flakes

After feeding, let stand out on the counter 8-10 hours to ferment then place back into refridgerator. Take out 1 cup of starter for baking BEFORE each feeding, leaving 2 cups of starter in the jar at all times.

Bread
    1 cup starter
    1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    6 cups flour
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

Mix bread ingredients together adding 1 cup of flour at a time until mixed. Knead until it has an elastic consistency. (I always seem to use a bit more flour---this dough is quite gooey. You will need to make sure you have a flour on the counter so it doesn't keep sticking while kneading. I usually knead the normal 6-8 minutes)

Place 2 Tbls oil in bottom/sides of a large bowl, turning dough over to coat all sides, then cover with greased plastic wrap or a tea towel. Let rise 8-10 hours or over night until doubled.

Punch down the dough, then divide into 2 well greased bread pans and allow to rise in a warm place 4-6 hours or until almost doubled. Bake at 350 degress for 25-35 minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by