Tragedy in my backyard-Goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cogoose, Mar 26, 2017.

1. cogoose

cogoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2014
    An animal is the reflection of the human in it's care. At least, I think so.
    My 2 geese, Tuffy and Dorothy, were maimed this week by 2 German Shepherds next door. The dogs didn't come over or below the fence, they came through it. I missed the attack by just a few moments.

I arrived home to see the dogs in my backyard. I immediately ran to my neighbors door to tell them their dog was in my backyard. Two of three dogs were in my backyard.

I went to my backyard only to find my sweet geese unable to move, with feathers everywhere. They were separated by 10 feet of space. Immediately I picked up Tuffy, my roman tufted, and put him with Dorothy. They talked to each other and hugged necks. With bite marks all over them, their time had come. I had to call a different neighbor to put them down.

They were five years old. The year I got them, they lived in my backyard, and ate all the grass. For about 6 months, they lived on a farm, to allow regrowth of my sanity and of the grass.

Upon their return, they spent the winter in my garage, and I did laundry daily to wash the blankets they snuggled upon at night. They were out during the days.

For a few years, they had a box on the north side of the yard, where the sun would hit in the spring. This year and last, they lived on the south side, in a box the size of a 2 story condominium. It was full of hay.

These 2 animals were AMAZING to me. I learned so much from them. Each year, they had 2 goslings.

And now the backyard is silent, except for birds overhead, and the dogs next door.

I am glad to have found my geese when they were still alive, so I could put them together, and let them communicate together. This was a moment I am glad to not have missed.

As for the dogs, the owners have some responsibility in the way the they are neglected, left for what? I don't know. I spent more time with my geese and rabbits than those folks do with their dogs.

I've buried my geese in the backyard and hope to plant a tree where they lie.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    So Sorry!! Did the neighbor offer to replace them?? Hope so if not I would see them in Court!

3. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    A dog on the owner's property is a pet, on another person's property is a predator and allowed to be terminated.

ETA: Geese are wonderful, are smarter than any dog, and have wonderful qualities that humans lack.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    You made me cry. I am so, SO sorry for the loss of your two sweet friends. Sending you lots of love and hugs.

5. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Your story makes me mad and sad at the same time.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2! [​IMG]

7. cogoose

Oct 26, 2014
    He offered to replace them, but at this time replacing them isn't my option. They were amazing creatures that I devoted myself to. Maybe in the future I will get more geese, but for now, I'm looking to see if the 3 eggs are fertile. It is rather early. Normally, her fertile eggs would be later when she had feathers in a nest.

The geese are smart, sensitive, brilliant creatures, and when I came around the corner and saw him, I just cried out "Tuffy!". Then I moved him next to her and they chattered, and I laid myself over them. Looking back, it is exactly what a mama goose would do to protect their babies. Of course if I had the resources, I would have swept them up to the vet, but not seeing them able to walk made me feel the best decision was to be swift and lower their pain. I am so glad I was able to tell them I was sorry and I'm so glad they were together to talk and get beak time.

Today, the dog tried to chew through the fence and come under. I called the cops and told them I'm not mad at the person, but their animal management is lacking. I asked the po po to come look at the dog's face in my yard, as the dog tried to come through. He said once a dog gets the taste of an attack he's going to do it again. I have to go to work tomorrow and I don't want my rabbits to be slaughtered because I didn't speak up. So I spoke up. The city enforcement guy is going to have a convo with them tomorrow.

8. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well he would at least give me replacement cost and anything else you can get. You are a great animal Lover I can see----and I Love My Animals too----if your dog kills some of my animals----I loose any love I might have had for your animal killing dog----then "things" happen. Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. cogoose

Oct 26, 2014
    I don't plan on engaging with them in conversation much anymore. This evening my dog and I both heard something, and when I went to the fence the owner was trying to cover the hole. He told me his truck broke down, and I realize they aren't in the best financial shape, but I don't think they should have their dogs if they are going to let them run amok.

Thank you for your kind reply, btw. What happened is an awful thing when I consider my memories of them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by