Tragedy in the coop

Sarahkw

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2018
Canada
I have (had) a small flock of 5 ladies - 2 Buff Orpingtons & 3 Barred Rocks. I let them run free for a couple hours this afternoon (as usual) & then went to put them back in their run.
When I offer them dried meal worms, they usually excitedly come running as fast as they can - today only 4 came.
I found Pearl, one of my Orps, laying under a tree in the run. Initially I thought she was dust bathing, but she then began rubbing her head on the ground & about 30 seconds later was lifeless.
She was a year old and seemed to be in perfect health.
I am so saddened by the loss of my girl and am wondering if anyone knows what may have caused this? :(

Did her wattles/comb look blue? That would definetly help you figure out if it had a heart attack or something similar. Just repeating knowledge I’ve been given on this forum. Also check her crop and see if there was something wrong with it. Chickens can hide illness well so maybe she was sick. Observing the rest of the flock for a while would be a good thing.

Unfortunately, sometimes they do just die and we never know why. Could be just something as simple a genetic flaw in heart function or an infection in her reproductive system.

Chickens often don't show signs of illness until they either drop dead or are too sick for the owner to help them.

So sorry for your loss but unfortunately we have all suffered such a loss and have been in your shoes.

:hugs

I too have lost several of my girls. It is very sad and I empathise with you:(
I don't know if you have already done this, but check her body for wounds and check her crop for sour odors. But know, as has been said in this thread already, that you may never know the cause.
Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom