Tragedy . . . need advice ASAP, please!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rrfarm2, Aug 27, 2016.

1. rrfarm2

rrfarm2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    Our beautiful BPR was sitting on a nest - about 2 chicks had hatched, and I was expecting the rest to hopefully come today. But tragedy struck last night and a predator got her. One of the hatched chicks was dead, one was barely alive, which I'm tending to in a box with pine shavings and heat lamp, but don't know if she'll make it. She has a raw spot on her back, and something seems wonky with one leg/hip. She may have been stepped on during the attack. She was peeping earlier when she got warmed up, and trying to move around, but her legs aren't cooperating. There is also something hanging out of her vent. I've dipped her little beak in food and water, but she has no interest in either. I'm not holding out much hope for her. But we'll see. Anyway, I gently took the 4 remaining eggs, and have them in the box as well. They are sitting on top of a moist cloth, which is sitting on top of a heat pack, and a heat lamp is keeping them at about 99 degrees. I've misted them every few hours as well. I know not to turn them now that hatch (if it even happens) is imminent. They were cold when I found them - no idea when my poor momma was taken - just some time overnight. Obviously, I don't have an incubator sitting around. I've read though other posts on this wonderful site about hatching eggs without an incubator, but am I doing what I should? Do you think there is any chance whatsoever that these eggs will hatch? I am just heartbroken.
    [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello and welcome - I'm sorry not under better circumstances. :hugs. I am also sorry that I don't know the answer to you question. Did you post in this thread?https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs You will get more expertise there. Good and I hope your hatch goes well. Hang in there. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. rrfarm2

Jun 2, 2014
    Barred Plymouth Rock...

4. rrfarm2

Jun 2, 2014
    Actually, I didn't mean to post in here (am a brand new user, and not quite myself at the moment!) - I also posted in the Emergency section and have been getting some good advice there.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So very sorry to hear your bad news, sending good hatching vibes your way. As long as there is hope anything is possible.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by