Tragedy Strikes!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dyerchickens, Mar 23, 2013.

1. dyerchickens

dyerchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    So took the kids to a movie today, and when we came home the dogs had knocked over and tore open the brooder and killed all four of our chicks. The children are very upset, going to figure out something else to do as a brooder, and start over. Hopefully it wont happen again.

2. annav410

annav410 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Broomfield, Colorado
    oh no! I am so sorry. Is it possible to keep the brooder in a closed off area from the dogs when you get your new chicks? [​IMG]

3. dyerchickens

Mar 10, 2013
    they had never bothered them before, next time going to lock chicks in bathroom if we have to be gone for any length of time. Very sad [​IMG]

4. JLaw

JLaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    sorry for your loss. I gated my dogs in kitchen then put cat in sons room with litter box. I actually sleep by my chicks though also broke out a cot and laid next to them. Wife loved the full bed no snoreing.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. dyerchickens

Mar 10, 2013
    So found one of our chicks alive behind our refrigerator this morning the other 3 did not make it, bought 3 new chicks this morning, 1 Silver laced Wayndotte, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Welsummer.

6. JLaw

JLaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY

Glad to hear little " Lucky" is alive. Btw I named your chick for ya hope you like the name Lucky. : )

2 people like this.
  7. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I'm glad to hear one made it. It's unfortunate and disheartening when things like this happen, but hopefully you will have the highs to make up for the lows.

8. westernmainecoop

westernmainecoop Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I can relate to you, and this is an unfortunate part of the learning curve. I hatched out some chicks last spring ans put them in a tote, built a wood frame with wire screen that set over the top of the tote. Nothing securing it, just gravity. We went to town and when we got back we found that the dogs had done the same thing yours did, knocked it over and ate the chicks I had just hatched out 2 days before. Needless to say it is very frustrating, and upsetting. So the next batch I hatched out went into a brooder that I made out of scrap material left over from building the coop. It's low to the ground so it won't easily tip over, and the top is secured on so it can't be opened without the use of fingers. My dogs still like to sit and stare at them, but by the time they are old enough to run around with the older chickens the dogs leave them alone. ( Chester the barred rock rooster chases them off if they get too close, I love that about him!) Trial and error and the great knowledge here in these forums has helped me alot! Good luck with your biddys!

9. dyerchickens

Mar 10, 2013
    I secured the top of it better, and at night or when we leave for town going to put babies in their brooder, in the bathroom, so the animals cannot get them, what is strange is that I am a full time student and Tuesday I was at school all day and they did not bother them so thought we had nothing to worry about so I was very surprised when we found out what they did. They are now learning to leave them alone. The one I found behind the refrigerator I bought some electrolytes and gave them to her so help with the fact she was without food or water for over 12 hours, she seems to be doing well we will see hopefully she will be okay.

10. justamomma

justamomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Oh no! So sorry about your chicks :( I have noticed our dog is very timid around ours and she sometimes acts as if she is already in trouble for something she hasn't done (yet). But as soon as I tell her its okay and that she's a good dog it seems like she gets all jumpy and runs back and forth along the brooder getting exited when they run to the other side :( so i know she can't be trusted. I think it is just in their blood to want to chase and eat small animals. Good luck with your new flock of chicks they sound like a beautiful bunch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by