1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tragic ending to a great day

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mikki717, Dec 27, 2009.

1. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    With the weather so mild, I decided it was time to move the 6 1/2 week olds to the outside coop. DH and I took an old 3x2x8 foot wooden box to the big girl coop, set up the lights, bedding, The set up was great.

I moved the girls out, and I got to see where the term "Mad as an old wet hen" came from!!! I have 3 RIR pullets, about 5 months old, a banty roo 5-6 months old, and the 26 little ones. The 3 big girls were ticked! Luckily we had put up a divider fence! Several chicks got pecked throught the fence, so after a few pecks they kept their distance.

I found I had 3 little roos in with the little girls, and I figure the tragic part went something like this...

The red roo saw a dog nose poking under the fence and went to peck at it. (He has been pretty aggressive for the past week or so.)

DH and I had gone inside to cook dinner while the kids settled in and scratched around in the dirt, then came out as the sun was setting so we could put them into the box for the night... I heard a funny clucking noise from a section of the yard where no chickens should have been, and then I saw the dog with a chick. It was the little red roo.

He was in bad shape, so DH finished the deed quickly. I couldn't look. I feel terrible. I thought I had introduced the dogs and chicks, but I guess any dog will grab at a chance when it presents itself. She had not ravaged the chick, but a German Shepher playing is way too rough for such a little creature.

I hate this part of having animals.

2. EightIsEnough

EightIsEnough Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear (read). Nothing like loosing one, at any age, at any time. I have my Lab and Border Collie run with my chicks for protection from critters, but think there are times they may need protection from the dogs. We stay out with dogs and chickens just in case. Border Collie likes to herd, even when the chickens are not so obliging. The Lab seems to get close but nothing so far. Best with the rest of your brood.

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    So sorry about your roo. [​IMG] It's always so sad losing them under circumstances like that... I've had animals my whole life and I'm a wildlife rehabber (we only have about a 50/50 chance of survival for the animals we get in), but it's still impossible to get used to the terrible accidents like this. Try not to blame yourself, and remember your roo is no longer in pain. I know it's always hard, though. [​IMG]

4. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

We had the same thing happen. It was a hard lesson to learn. I know how you feel. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So far my Golden Retriever has been nice to the birds.

Sorry for your loss.

6. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    We have two goldens, and I have an adorable picture of my male, lying down on his side in the dirt just outside the run, and he is looking up at the hens inside, who are looking down at him. I think he was trying to make friends. My female, on the other hand, sometimes runs around the outside of the run, and "cries" when there is a chicken being handled, that is just out of reach. I have picked up an escape artist bird, and turned to find her silently trying to "taste" the chicken's legs. I would not trust her for a moment. It just depends on how much prey drive the dog has.

7. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    It doesn't seem like she was "attacking" to kill, but she does have a habit of taking things. One shoe, a glove, tools, whatever and relocating them. Maybe a mothering instinct??? And while she may not chew things or have evil intentions, you can never have a chick come out on top when dealing with a German Shepherd.

I am working on the run this week. We already have doughboy pool siding around the lower 4 feet to provide a visual barrier, but now I will be adding a layer to deter digging and nosing. It is completely enclosed above with chicken wire to deter hawks and keep the Banty roo from flying out. This is my first foray into chicken herding, so it is a learn as you go kind of thing.

Luckily I learn from my life lessons, so I will work on keeping this from happening again.

Thank you all for your empathy and support.

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Aww... I'm so sorry for your loss! I know how frustrating it can be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by