trail riding weekend

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by horsejody, Jul 7, 2008.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    We took the horses to Turkey Creek over the weekend for trail riding. It was beautiful!

Here is some of the scenery.
    [​IMG]

Here is DH on his Belgian/Quarter Horse cross.
    [​IMG]

Here is my Haflinger (Dolli) at the camp site.
    [​IMG]

I love trail riding. I especially love it when the scenery is so beautiful. We try to camp with the horses as often as possible.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    How fun! It looks like you saw some beautiful country. Lucky you! [​IMG]

3. olp_63

olp_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

that looks really fun!

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Great pictures and beautiful horses.
    I need to get a portable fence set-up like that.

5. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    WOW!! Looks like you had a great time. I went on a 4 hour ride a few months ago with our 4-H club, it was incredible. I don't like the ones with a wide path, flat land, clear open spaces, I like to ruff it!!!
    Ashlyn

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:You would like to ride with us. We go everywhere. We camp as many weekends as possible and try to take at least one big trip every year with the horses. Last year we spent a week at Shawnee Natl Forest in Illinois. This year we are going to Custer State Park in South Dakota.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Wow! You lucky duck. Not only do you have your own horses (I am green with envy! [​IMG] (sorry it's the only green smiley I could find)) you also have a wonderful view!

Want to give it to me?

Thanks for sharing (despite making me die [​IMG] with envy)!

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:C'mon out. I got plenty of horses.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:When you get your set up, get the pig tail fence posts. They are a lot handier than the other types. You don't have to buy the insulators because they are rubber coated at the top, and they are much sturdier than the fiberglass or plastic posts. We have used all sorts of posts over the years and have found these to be the best.

10. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    Quote:You would like to ride with us. We go everywhere. We camp as many weekends as possible and try to take at least one big trip every year with the horses. Last year we spent a week at Shawnee Natl Forest in Illinois. This year we are going to Custer State Park in South Dakota.

Oh, Custer State Park is beautiful right now! We take our motorcycles up there a lot. I would like to take my horses up there, but I'm not really sure where the horse campground is at and where the trails are. Can you ride the Mickelson Trail? I know you can take them down the Centennial trail and we were hoping to do that sometime before it got cold. When are you going? Hopefully not the first week in August. That is when the Sturgis Bike Rally is going on and there are bikers everywhere. Which isn't a bad thing......just may not be the best for horses. And it's hard to find camping spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by