Trailer for hauling to show?

Vcomb

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
South Dakota
My Coop
My Coop
I'm planning on attending a show later this fall and will be bringing a considerable number of birds (more than can fit in my vehicle). So I am looking for any suggestions on what to use to haul the birds. Its a 14 hr drive I might add. I am considering renting a pull type U-Haul, but worry about air circulation and temperature inside. (show is in October). Other than that I have considered seeing if anyone I know would let me borrow their horse trailer, but the majority are either too large or too heavy.

So have any of you used U-Hauls before? How'd it work out? Any tips?

Thanks!

See if someone has a one horse trailer . . .they are the nicest things and probably enough ventilation without TOO much on the open road. I saw one for $1800 two years ago, and would have loved to have had it, but DH said that was way too much. . .I have Alpacas and could have fit four in there . . .even a two horse one would work maybe? I don't know that much about transporting, but a U-haul would be too "tight". No air at all.

I haven't used a uhaul. I use the horse trailer. what show are you hauling to ? I am desperately looking for a good quality Silver Laced roo. my daughters favorite hen is a silver lace she totes her everywhere. I would love to get some babies from her. she showed her at the highland IL apa show and won showmanship with her.

the show is in Frankenmuth, MI. The last time I went out there I had my birds all stuffed wall-to-wall in my vehicle with the windows cracked open just a hair and that worked out alright. Like I said this time though there will be too many to do that. I remember in '06 I saw folks loading up right after the APA-ABA-IWFS joint national and one guy was loading geese into a big box truck style U-Haul....but I had no idea how far he had to go with them either. The other thing is its not in the budget to just go out and buy a horse trailer right now, even though I want to buy one and convert it for showing eventually.

I moved 19 chickens and 11 ducks in the back of a 26' u-haul from Oregon to Kentucky last mar/apr. I put battery operated fans in the back for circulation, hung soda bottle waterers and stopped every 4 hours or so. At night, I unlatched the u-haul and the door opened about 2 inches....I left it like that and they did great. Even through 2 snowstorms and a white-out. The trip took 7 days instead of 50 hours.

7630_loaded.jpg

7630_loaded2.jpg

7630_loaded3.jpg

7630_loaded4.jpg

I would recommend a 10' u-haul truck. They have plenty of room for supplies and wheel wells inside tho help secure the cages from shifting. They also have interior siderails for tying down. Go to a u-haul dealer that has one on the lot and look inside it. Really good on gas also.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind is that the U-haul trailers are not just fully closed boxes, but they also have wussy suspensions. I would expect that any animals - and their water sources - would get quite a lot more jostling than they'd get inside a vehicle. I would also be worried about them overheating during a summer trip.

Back
Top Bottom