train chickens!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greeneggs444, Jul 8, 2011.

1. greeneggs444

greeneggs444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I heard you can train chickens to come when called, im assuming a name. Like, as well as a dog!![​IMG]!! Does anyone know how you would approach that???????[​IMG]

2. debducttape

debducttape Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    My chickens (and my neighbor's chickens) come when called, because I am the bringer of treats. I holler "chick, chick, chick" and they all come running. I just hollered my chicken call before I give them treats, and it was less than a week and they associate the "chick" tone of voice with me bringing them something good.

3. greeneggs444

greeneggs444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    OH thanks. I was at my sister's farm and you dont even need to call those chickens. they come as soon as you come out the door just to see! well a few do!![​IMG]

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    One of mine seems to know her name. When I call her name, she looks at me from whatever she is doing. However, they all come running when they hear the door. They assume I have treats and are often quite angry when I don't.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
  6. ashleylancaster

ashleylancaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    ALABAMA
    MY MOM DOES THE CHICK CHICK CHICK CALL AND HERS COME RUNNING CAUSE THEY KNOW ITS DINNER TIME. BUT U CAN TRAIN CHICKENS I SEEN ON TV TO USE A LITTLE RED BALL AT THE END OF A STICK WITH A CLICKER ON THE OTHER END. WHEN THE CHICKEN TOUCHES THE BALL WITH HER BEAK U CLICK AND GIVE A TREAT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by