Training a Coturnix Quail.....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Che, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    Can it be done? Can you train one as a pet? Make it come to you when its called or perch on you? Just curious.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i guess you can, with some serious enticing.

but it is a fairly wild animal still. should be possible tho

3. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    any advice?

4. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    though ive never had a corturnix i do try to hand tame all my button quails which was told could not be done.
    first off i suggest starting with hatching your own as it will be alot easier since your starting from the begining. while they are in the incubator unhatched start talking to them! about 4 days before there due to hatch and keep talking to them! try to use a glass tank for a brooder and keep it somewhere like your living room where theres everyday noises and you walk past often. and every chance you get from day one on put your hands in the brooder and just leave them there feed them from your hand as often as possable cup your hand and allow them to sleep underneath of it watch tv with your hand in the brooder read a book with one hand in the brooder when you water them keep your hand in there for about 10 minurtes at a time.
    once they are active start holding htem taking them out of the brooder and holding them. once there old enough to start eating treats like meal worms or bits of boiled egg ONLY give it to them from your hand dont ever just drop it in the brooder or in there dish always offer from your hand it wont take them long to realize those treats only come from your hand while they eat there yummy treats practice petting them softly give them these treats while there in your lap or perched in your hand.and make sure you give them a treat doing this at least once per day otherwise it wont take long for them to revert to not trusting you.

5. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    Quote:AWESOME!!!! THANKS!!!!! [​IMG] I will be hatching some new babies in a few weeks!

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

my coturnix are always in the way when i go to clean the brooder.. I move them out of the way... they come right back.. looking to see if i have anything for them or what the heck im doing.. nosey little buggers

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Food is a great motivator to become friendly. If you work with them, with food, they can learn to come when called and will look forward to seeing you, especially when you come packing their favorite goodies. Once you figure out what they truly desire, they will love you forever. [​IMG]

8. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    what can i use for treats?

9. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    They won't be able to fly to you very well, but grab a bucket and start a conga line! [​IMG]

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Thawed frozen peas. My quail go NUTS for peas. They line up near their pen door in the morning waiting for me to bring them some. Meal worms are another good option.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by