Training a dog to guard sheep?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Zahboo, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am wanting to get a dog and train them to guard my chickens. They won't be in the run with the birds, but I don't want them to be a predator to them. How can I train a dog to be a guardian? Our dog we have tries to eat chickens. I am supposed to be getting a blue heeler, but am thinking about not getting it, as they aren't from working lines.... They are just somebodys' pets. I would LOVE a GP

2. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    FIRST.. buy the right breed for the job!!!! get a flock guarding dog NOT A HERDING BREED!!!!!
    biggest mistake people make is buying the wrong breed for the job they want done.. then wonder why they have a pile of dead birds...
    a blue heeler IS A herding breed....
    several breeds COULD do the job,, but it takes TRAINING.. are you willing to put in huge amount of time???

a GRT PYRN is a good start,, but can you keep up the coat care on that breed of dog????.. and feed it???

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    JUST A THOUGHT:
    Whatever breed you buy, buy big. My dog, Xena (since passed [​IMG]) was afraid of other dogs as a puppy, but NOT afraid when she grew to 105 pounds. Yet, she was very gentle with the cats, rabbits, and chickens.

If you haven't been a dog owner, do some research, AND buy a puppy!!!

I gave up trying the retrain one dog who could not be contained---the owners thought he needed to live in the country--HA!!!
    and another who had been abandoned after taught to attack.

A short search on the Net will tell you about certain breeds and their genetic predispositions. Some are great for your purpose, others could also work. There are even some who will buddy up to cats, for instance (who CAN defend themselves, unlike chickens) if they grow up with them, but will chase and attack them if not exposed. So, you could train one of these. I believe that every animal you own--I used to take care of 21 on my property!!--needs to have a job in order to be sane.

IN ADDITION, there is no guarantee in the dog kingdom. My vet's most aggressive client was a collie. But, I came very close to buying a property that came with the dog, a Doberman, who didn't want to leave with the family---VERY steady and friendly.

I'm sure that you'll figure it out! :thumbsupGood luck with your new chickies---mine have already arrived---oops! gotta go check on 'em!

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Train it from day 1, need time, consistency and common sense.

Well trained dogs are a joy to have, a bored dog will get up to mischief.

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    We have dogs and coat care isn't an issue. Grandma dearest is a groomer and I actually enjoy brushing our dogs [​IMG] some nerd LOL. I also understand with herding dogs, make mental stimulation or chickens may become a fun game uhoh. But thanks for advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by