Training an Older Dog to Walk on a Leash?

LilJoe

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 15, 2016
Missouri
What is the best method for teaching an older (almost 13) dog to walk on a leash without pulling, not coming/stopping, etc.? Would this be taught similar to how it's taught to puppies?

My husband and I raise German Shepherds and we train with the no pull collars. They go over the dogs muzzle and also the neck like a regular collar. A dog's neck has great strength which is why typical collars don't work well for training and a harness allows the dog to use body strength.... again not good for training. When a no pull is used you are turning their face to pay attention to you as you train.

My husband and I raise German Shepherds and we train with the no pull collars. They go over the dogs muzzle and also the neck like a regular collar. A dog's neck has great strength which is why typical collars don't work well for training and a harness allows the dog to use body strength.... again not good for training. When a no pull is used you are turning their face to pay attention to you as you train.
X 2 on the no pull collar. We're using this on our bull terrier at the moment.

I was told by a trainer that those "halter" type training collars can cause neck injuries. Have you noticed any injuries using those?

I was told by a trainer that those "halter" type training collars can cause neck injuries. Have you noticed any injuries using those?
The only way a neck injury could possibly be caused is if an owner is being abusive with it. You don't need to yank on it, it takes very little pressure to work when used properly. If someone is causing a neck injury they shouldn't own an animal.

I think the concern was a dog that lunges, jerks, and things like that. The dog might hurt themselves.
Vs. a regular collar that puts the pressure solely on the neck? Have you ever seen a dog pulling with all its might and choking and gagging as the poor owner is the one taken for a walk? Or an owner struggling to gain control over a jumping dog....a regular collar allows the canine to use their brute strength and it becomes a fight of willpower.... man vs. canine instead of an owner/ handler performing a training session.

Try a prong collar, of course properly fitted. A good quality one(herm srenger brand, not from a pet store) is the only way to go. They don’t hurt, I have worn one to try it out and it is totally fine. Only abusive tactics cause injuries. The collar will cause mild discomfort if the dog pulls, and only when the dog pulls. Get a 2.5mm one, bigger prong sizes are only needed for long haired dogs. Head collars don’t seem right, they could easily be misfitted and get into a dogs eyes or if the dog lunges it won’t be good for the dog. Consistency is key when training leash skills, if the dog pulls give a light pop with the leash, consistent pressure only encourages pulling. Good luck!

At 13 years, I might just let the dog be. :confused:
Do you have a fenced yard? Even with no-pull collars/halters, prong collars, etc. You still have to train the dog properly. Is the dog motivated by treats? That would be the best. A dog that is not food motivated can be a bit tougher to train especially to a novice.
At 13, I would try a no-pull harness, which is less restrictive than halters (that go over the muzzle) - especially on a dog that hasn't had anything go over their muzzle.
What type of trainig/commands does the dog already know?

Thank you everyone for your responses.
At 13 years, I might just let the dog be. :confused:
Do you have a fenced yard? Even with no-pull collars/halters, prong collars, etc. You still have to train the dog properly. Is the dog motivated by treats? That would be the best. A dog that is not food motivated can be a bit tougher to train especially to a novice.
At 13, I would try a no-pull harness, which is less restrictive than halters (that go over the muzzle) - especially on a dog that hasn't had anything go over their muzzle.
What type of trainig/commands does the dog already know?

I do have a fenced in yard, and she is motivated by treats. She knows the commands "sit", "lay down", "down" (lay down), "come", "stay" , "wait" (stay), "up", "go", and "where is it"/"go get it" as well as hand signals for sit, lay down, up, and go.

Back
Top Bottom