1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

training chicks to be inside pets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yab, Jan 26, 2009.

1. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    as this is the "raising chicks" page, i assume it could also include How-To train a rooster/hen to be an inside chicken? i've always wondered and could never figure out how to get the chicken to enjoy being indoors

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    If you got some seramas they love to be in the house, then again they can't take harsh winter temps. As far as house training a chicken, I'm still struggling with that lol. My rooster thinks its funny to jump out of his box and roam the house, he has gotten the hang of the stairs within seconds and giggles while running from me. I would guess it takes a long time to train them if at all possible

3. PokingMyPancreas

PokingMyPancreas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Middlesex County, NJ
    It's definitely possible to train a chick to be an indoor pet. I did it with two RIR chicks I had a few years ago. If they are babies, just spend as much time as possible holding them in your hands, stroking them, and talking to them.

I was never able to "potty-train" them. So I would just walk around behind them and clean up any poo.

Good luck!

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Quote:They don't enjoy being indoors because it does not fulfill their needs, physically or mentally. No amount of training is going to change that.

5. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    that is very true... i have just seen people sitting on couches with their chickens, watching tv.. or having them inside in general, and wondered the trick to it.. i thought that if you held baby chicks too often, it could kill them?

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Chickens can be pets but as far as IM concerned they don't belong in the house!!!!!
    It's bad enough that i have 8 chicks and 8 eggs in the bator all in my laundry room. ! [​IMG]
    They will go to the garage as soon as I can keep them warm enough in there.
    Chickens like the dirt,fresh air,bugs,plants,,etc.
    I am perfectly content to go out where they are and sit in my lawn chair either in the coop or in the run. I love visiting with them! It is my therapy each day.
    BUT NO CHICKENS IN THE HOUSE ! It's bad enough trying to clean up after kids,DH and the dog let alone the chickens ![​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  7. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    the morale of the chicken must be kept, but it sure would be amusing to have the neighbors come over sometime and be greeted at the door by one of my hens... "bawk?"

8. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have let one or two in for awhile but I put a chicken diaper on them. it's usually in the summer when they will come to the back door for treats.

9. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    chicken diaper?? where would you find one of those?

10. Hackles

Hackles Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    See the Links in my signature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by