Training chicks to go into coop at night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RitzHomestead, Mar 16, 2015.

1. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    What are the ways you have trained your chicks to go into the coop at night? I have a rather long ramp to get into the coop and I would like them to learn to use it rather than me collect them up and put them up at night. Right now I leave the door open and they start to come out and then go back in. Any tips?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They should go in on their own by dark. Be sure there is some natural light in the coop. Check it well for things like lice/mites, mice, etc. to be sure they aren't avoiding something. Some people lock their birds in the coop for a few days but I've never found this to be necessary.

3. yardbird53

yardbird53 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    South Carolina
    My 5 week old chicks still wander around at least 30 minutes after the grown hens have already roosted. I'm putting them in their box now but will wait a little longer each day to see if they get the hang of it. One of the females can fly up to the perch on the front of the box so I probably don't need to be concerned. The ramp goes up to their box.
    [​IMG]

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I always confine my chicks to the coop for a week or two before giving them access to the run. That way, they learn where they're supposed to go to bed at night. After giving them access to the run, I still had to provide a little bit of light in the coop in the evening to entice them to enter on their own.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by