1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Training Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollychicken, Apr 20, 2012.

1. hollychicken

hollychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Smiths Falls , Canada
    Is it possible to train your chicks? If so how ? ( Any trick ) And how do you tame chicks?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    FOOD. Chickens are incredible food oriented. Constant handling and feeding treats from hand and soon they'll run to you on sight and even climb on your lap if that's what you want. We don't go for lap chickens but do work to have them come running when called to and get them to squat for you as adults for ease of picking up.

3. hollychicken

hollychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Smiths Falls , Canada
    Really? Well Ok then I will try this out and keep u posted!

4. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    My son just got two chickens jump up on a bucket and eat from his hand by using delicious treats! I never thought he'd get them to do anything like that. [​IMG]

5. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Google "clicker train chicken". And see what pops up.

The only trick my flock does is come running whenever I shake a Maxwell house can full of scratch while yelling, "CHICKENS! Chick-chick-chick CHIIIIICKEEEENS!". I trick them into the run this way. As soon as i shut the run door, they have that look of "D'oh! I cant believe we fell for that AGAIN". :D heeheh. Then I lock the coop after they are up on the roosts.

6. SmallFarmChick

SmallFarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    in the coop
    Tame a chicken... Hmm. FOOD! Yes, follow everything posted above! They love it!

7. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I wonder how many of us BYC'ers call their chickens with "Chickens! chick-chick-chick CHIIICKEEENS!" My grandma always called them like that and I do, too.

8. Countrymama719

Countrymama719 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, In
    Absolutely food, Mine will be way off in a field and if they see me walking anywhere towards the coop, they come running, because they know the food is coming. =]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by